100 gallon FOWLR w/ reef fish tank stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAKEPIN

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

I am moving in late October and I decided that it was time to switch from FOWLR aggressive to FOWLR reef. I'm getting rid of my dogface puffer, who killed of my blue tang. :(:(:(. So I am completely open to the invert world now. Here is what I was thinking, this would take a couple of months to complete though,

2 ocellaris clowns
5 green chromis
3 firefish
1 royal gramma
1 sixline wrasse
1 cleaner shrimp
1 yellow tang
1 diamond watchman goby
5 bangaii cardinals or pajama cardinals
1 bicolor blenny
1 flame hawkfish

I plan on adding an anemone next year, and perhaps as I get more experienced in this section of aquarium fish, then I will got to fish that are more hard to take care of (bicolor angel and green mandarin). Are there any fish that would either outgrow my 100 gallon or fight with one another? Keep in mind that I have been doing aggressive and I'm brand new to reef. I'm also leaving the door open for corals eventually. Any suggestions ?

100 gallon FOWLR
10 gallon quarantine

Royal gramma are pretty aggressive and might pick on the other smaller fish like the firefish. Sometimes six line wrasse are aggressive as well, so watch out for that. I have heard mixed stories about kauderns cardinal fish fighting each other. Besides that, I think your stock is great, though you might be a little overstocked, but with small schooling fish you might be fine.

Ok. So if I take off the royal gramma, can a replace it with the bicolor dottyback

In general dottybacks are aggressive, so i would stay away from dottybacks unless you are going with an aggressive tank, which you are not going with. Also, stay away from damsels. They are pretty aggressive too.

Actually, I just saw that you want to get a mandarin. If you want a mandarin, stay away from wrasses. Wrasses will outfight mandarins for their natural food, copepods.

Chromic aren't aggressive. They are very fun to watch in groups.

Ok. So I think no mandarin cuz they are extremely hard to take care of according to liveaquaria, so I think I will go with the sixline wrasse, any other suggestions?

Actually, as long as you prepare for them correctly, they are not so difficult. If you want to keep one, seed the tank with copepods to begin with and a year later, there should be a colony of copepods that your mandarin could feed end that will keep reproducing. Or you can always add a refugium to keep copepods safe to breed. But that may be what you don't want.

Also, the bicolor angel might nip at the corals. Also, a fowlr tank doesn't have coral in it.

I'm thinking of still going with the sixline wrass cuz my uncle used to keep them in a reef tank. So I will have somebody with experience to help me.

I know, it will be FOWLR for at least another year, I just Sid that I'm leaving the door open for them

Okay, besides the things I mentioned, your stock is fine. Good luck with the tank.

Actually, I haven't started up my saltwater tank yet, but I just added a new thread and hope to start up a tank soon. I have read so much on saltwater fish and I really hope to start a tank soon. I wish I had a tank as big as yours or could start one but I don't have room. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom