20g Long Tank Seeding..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I have a cycled fowlr tank that's been up 3 months and is already stocked with fish, could I possibly seed a new tank with the water and rock..?

Hard to say every tank is different. The first saltwater tank I setup I had gotten some good liverock and was cycled in a couple weeks. I would guess if rock is well populated with bacteria and everything went perfect a couple of weeks. But your water tests are the only way to know. My recent build I used Dr. Tims ammonia and live bacteria (not sure the bacteria helped) and rock from my prior tank and cycle took 25 days.

Hard to say every tank is different. The first saltwater tank I setup I had gotten some good liverock and was cycled in a couple weeks. I would guess if rock is well populated with bacteria and everything went perfect a couple of weeks. But your water tests are the only way to know. My recent build I used Dr. Tims ammonia and live bacteria (not sure the bacteria helped) and rock from my prior tank and cycle took 25 days.

Hmm, sounds like a good plan then, because my brother in law wants a sw tank and wanted to know if he could snag a rock or 2 from my tank and the water change water to speed up the process.

Back
Top Bottom