28 Gallon SW Build...hopefully...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome...im sold. Any specifics of brand, contents or minerals i should get or avoid?

If possible I guess go silicate free if you can find it. I just went to HD and got the ones they had, I believe it has silicates though. A pool supply store would also work, I've heard of people getting silicate free sand from them. From what I've read, here and other places is that the silicates can help algae grow, but I don't have an inordinate amount of algae in the 125g and never have. So not so sure if the silicate theory and algae is correct.

But I do know that seawater has silicates in it so youre not adding anything un-natural.

With such a small tank though you could probably get by with 2 bags of lfs sand too. Not too too expensive. Like 50 bucks would probably be the total for "real" aquarium sand lol

I just skimmed through but the ac70 even with the higher flow impeller it won't lift your sand. Just use one extension down vs the two they give you. I don't know about sugar fine but I've got sand in all my tanks 1mm being average grain size. So plus or minus that. I've never had a problem.

I've even ran the ac with both extensions on my 20g with sand (again it's not sugar fine) and had no problems.

Hope that helps.

Oh ok, im gonna check out the PFS and see how that looks...

Also another question...I was cruising through reef central looking at some of their threads. I know i'm going to sound all over the road with lighting, but I really like the corals that move with the current, which I'm guessing is considered LPS correct? Would the light I am getting be too strong for them?

Just place the corals appropriately. :) Those guys would go on the sandbed in my opinion, thats where I keep mine.

Awesome im so excited i cant even take it...also the rock from reef cleaners has been delivered...cant wait to get out of work!!!!

The rock from them is truly excellent, you won't be disappointed I promise. lol

If I didnt come across my deal for the 250lbs of base rock I would have ordered it from reefcleaners without a doubt. :)

Its crazy the deals ypu run into...lol.

Do you think 50 lbs will be enough for a 36 tank?

Yep, should be fine. It's supposed to be from 1.5 to 2.0 lbs per gallon for optimal filtration but youre in the range. :) are you going to add any live rock at all? that can make up any difference in rock if you wanted to go on the heavy side.

I personally plan on about 120lb in my 90g, I want an open tank for that build. But I usually go heavy on the rock elsewhere. lol I have over 200lbs in the 125g and am gonna add another 50lbs as soon as I get around to moving it from the floor in front of the tank!

Oh ya my LFS has gorgeous purple rock. I still need to pick up a substrate...lol

That's on my list as well, gonna stop at the only home depot I found that has PFS, hopefully they still have some. Or else its off the the pool supply store and they just don't understand. lol

Got my rock...looks great...have guests over for dinner so i cant play with my tank. Uuugh....lol. will upload pics later

Also should i rinse the rock in RO water to remove the dust? Did i just ask a retoricle queation?

I rinse in regular water, I know bad girl.....but it;s so much easier when youre dealing with alot. If you have the ro handy I would use that if it makes you feel better.

Enjoy dinner
lol

Reef cleaners rock is super porous and a great variety of sizes.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110922_211351.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110922_211351.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20110922_211442.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110922_211442.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 73
hahaha i got home from work with my box of 50lbs sitting there. i would say that in a smaller tank like ours egg create is not necessary. but take my opinion as just that, my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom