Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

As a backup plan I dont see the harm in adding the ammonia detoxifer, but only if there is a rise in ammonia that is totally unexpected. I keep a bottle of prime on hand just in case myself. From dosing to 8ppm ammonia I've been lucky and have never had any ammonia spikes after setting a tank up. But I tend to err on the side of caution when stocking so I dont have any surprises. lol

I added I think 7 fish at once a few years ago and never had even a blip in parameters. I dont recommend adding that many fish of course, it could have gone badly but I bought a small school of blue reef chromis (5) that I ordered from liveaquaria and with their shipping rates it would have been crazy to break the order into pieces for less than $100 worth of shipping. lol

Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Activist

I only plan on having a fire fish, a black clown, and maybe a bi-color blennie in the tank, but being as its only 14g minus rocks roughly 10g, i font want to act too fast and harm any of the animals...

Old 07-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
There should be no spike but if by chance there is after the tank cycled because he added an extra fish too soon it would be small and short. Better to leave it alone than be forced to rely on chemical treatment for a while because it messed up your cycle
Old 07-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Activist

Would a bag of chemipure (pro) do anything to help keep ammonia, trates, and trites down long term, or is that a ploy by my LFS to sell me stuff I don't really need?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Chemipure elite is basically a carbon substitute and gfo. They will not help with parameters really. I run chemipure in my biocube and it does last several months but it's more for cleaning up the waters appearance and to remove odors, just like carbon. The gfo is helpful for phosphates as it will remove those.

I have found that when you leave the chemipure in it actually traps nitrates and causes high readings of it unless you rinse the bag off at water changes. I was doing massive water changes and my nitrates never went down a bit until i changed out the chemipure. The bag itself will let debris and orgnaic matter accumulate.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you Carey!!! The ppl at my lfs said its a must have for all saltwater tanks and i was a little skeptical... Is it recommended to remove all non live rock filters during a pwc and rinse them?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run good for a week once a month, it does help clear the water a bit, and when fighting cyano I "think" it would come back a bit slower.

The filters are really your choice, most people leave them in as bacteria builds on the material quite well, however some argue that it traps and slowly releases nitrates, both are right, so imo it becomes a personal choice. I change my filters once a month, I'm not in the camp of the bacteria, I didn't always go this route but it was something I could do to possibly alleviate my cyano. I personally didn't notice a difference at all.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

So neither is a better option than the other... Just change the filters ever few months and it should be ok?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist

My readings on my new test kit are as follows... I did a water change two days ago...
Ph 8.4
No3 10ppm
No2 5ppm
Ammonia 0ppm

Is this normal???
Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, you're on the right track, what's happening is that while ammonia is constantly being released by the decaying shrimp, it's being used just as quickly by the beneficial bacteria. The same will happen with nitrite and then your cycle is complete. You're almost there

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com