40 g beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, not official yet, but i would really like to get a 40 gallon and start a saltwater tank, and i have a few questions. First off, is this a good size tank? Also, what type of filtration should i use (hob, canister, or sump)? Then, what other supplies/equipment is necessary for me to have? And how much is rock/sand? and do i need it live? I'm trying to price out what it would be and figure out if I'm able to go through with it or not! Thanks!

Hey, not official yet, but i would really like to get a 40 gallon and start a saltwater tank, and i have a few questions. First off, is this a good size tank? Also, what type of filtration should i use (hob, canister, or sump)? Then, what other supplies/equipment is necessary for me to have? And how much is rock/sand? and do i need it live? I'm trying to price out what it would be and figure out if I'm able to go through with it or not! Thanks!

Fowlr or reef??

Skimmer
Sump
Salt
The salt level checker thingy
40lbs of sand
50-80lbs of rock
Lots of circulation pumps
Heater
Salt water test kit

Rock is generaly $2-$4 a pound
Do not need to get the sand or rock live.

Hey, glad 2 see someone else trying SW. I think a 40 B is a great starter tank, but tangs will not be able to live there. I suggest to look at live aquaria for fish ideas.
As for filtration, but it really matters what you prefer, how much live filtration, and your bio load. I have a 25 but I 'm running a 40-60 Hob for add flow and filtrating. Sumps are great, so are refrigums but are not nesscarily needed. Live sand and rock are your main filtration.

As for. what you need. First you have to awnser a few questions.;)

1. Do you want corals?
2. Do you want a sand or bare bottom tank

You need power heads, salt, heaters, filters, lights if you want coral

Ok, well i think i'll start with fowlr and get reef-safe fish to slowly change into a reef. How much can lighting cost me? And is there anything like low-light corals? And, do you suggest getting an ro/di unit or just buying water from my LFS?

Ok, well i think i'll start with fowlr and get reef-safe fish to slowly change into a reef. How much can lighting cost me? And is there anything like low-light corals? And, do you suggest getting an ro/di unit or just buying water from my LFS?

Get an ro/di it will be cheaper in the long run. Ya there is low light corals,but you you will want the better ones as time goes on so i suggest the coralife lunar lights

Ro/di units will save you money in the future so I suggest to get one. Lights can range from 70 up . They get pretty crazy with prices. There's lot if low light corals , such as mushrooms. Google is my best friend when it comes to coral

Ro/di units will save you money in the future so I suggest to get one. Lights can range from 70 up . They get pretty crazy with prices. There's lot if low light corals , such as mushrooms. Google is my best friend when it comes to coral

Gotcha. How much will a unit cost me then?

That will really depend on how soon you want to go from fowlr to having corals. I would suggest buying the best one you can afford now instead if having to buy another when you decide to go full reef. Look on Craigslist for great deals, I got and entire 120 setup for $600. Another option is to get one of the cheap led fixtures, little more $ up front but no bulb changes so its will cost you less in the long run.

That will really depend on how soon you want to go from fowlr to having corals. I would suggest buying the best one you can afford now instead if having to buy another when you decide to go full reef. Look on Craigslist for great deals, I got and entire 120 setup for $600. Another option is to get one of the cheap led fixtures, little more $ up front but no bulb changes so its will cost you less in the long run.

Gotcha. So could i get any old led aquarium fixture, or is there special reef ones?

+1 on the 20 long. I just set up a 40b ( filling it up as I type this) and I drilled the bottom and back for the overflow and return.

No but I had issues with my hang on when power would go out. If you go that route look into CPR overflows, they have an auto restart feature to them.

Back
Top Bottom