40 Gallon Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Move

Well I spent the majority of the day moving and redoing electrical. Running to the store, running to the other store, restocking, blah blah blah. I picked up a 12 lbs rock yesterday and a 13.5 lbs one today. I'm pretty close to 40 with the other rocks from the 10g. It's exhausting cause of all the thought being put in and other shizzle. My HOB leaked, I'm looking at the tank and I keep hearing this tick, tick, tick, tick. The HOB is leaking right on the timer and it's actually a sizzle sound. I caught it in time and no problem, I even saved the timer, cause 'Darn it, I'm Good!" Here's some pic's:

Attachments

• Move 1.jpg
    Move 1.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Move 2.jpg
    Move 2.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Move 3.jpg
    Move 3.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 115
The final look

So here's the tank in place and then filled up with the lights cranked. I wish you guys could see the piece on the left. It's like a pyramid but this spire look is awesome. Check it out:

Attachments

• Move 4.jpg
    Move 4.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Move 5.jpg
    Move 5.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 117
like how the waterfall looks like its pouring in the tank
ok fixed it
img_2444497_0_83e0a4139a9c1e695d6d50168933c03e.jpg

Moved a good portion of the LR from 10g into the 40b. 10 is catching minimal light from the light over the 40. 40b looks good so far but numbers are a little low. Moved over 3 corals: Candy Cane, Red Mushroom, and Zoa's. Also moved 3 hermits and 3 snails. 1 drop of Iodine and 2-3 caps of 8.4. For now Lights are set at 7 hours :15 Minutes, Equal. At least until tomorrow. I need to get the timers dialed in and the equipment all connected.

I'm at 1885 gph for flow, I know the recommended is 30-50 times the size of the tank. The current looks fierce. I've got the one PH moving 1585 gph and a 300 gph HOB. Anybody think this is too much? I've got the PH pointed at one of the bigger rocks to help reduce the movement. Thoughts, opinions, experience?

Since you using the hob I'm sure you should have enough suface agitation so that's good to go. What powerhead are you using? It should be enough flow for the tank but I would have went with two powerheads like 2 Loralia 750s so I can direct the flow a bit more.

High Flow

The PH is a 'Sun-Sun, Super Aquatic Wave Maker.' It's pretty big and WOW, it moves water around! I've got so much agitation I see 'Tiny Bubbles..." I forgot to mention the PS, but it's only 50 gph. It's an in-tank Hydor Protein Skimmer.

:popcorn:

The PH is a two unit piece but the pieces are fused with directional vents for the flow.

Oh okay. I looked back in the photos and saw it. Looks like it should be able to handle the job just fine. I'm going home this afternoon determined to figure out some stuff with my bean animal overflow. She is running freshwater right now until I can figure out my plumbing issue.

I have no doubt it's doing the job, just wondering if anybody, or you, think I should reduce the flow. I guess I'll just observe and adjust. Don't know anything about 'bean animal' overflows.

You should be good to go as long as your sand, corals, and livestock aren't flying all over the place. You can always adjust as you see fit going forward. Look up bean animal overflow whenever you have some time. Pretty redundant overflow invented by a fellow reefer.

Looks pretty cool, is it just a design and then you do it yourself or do you buy the system?

I have a 1250 that seemed to be to strong then I added a 450 on the other side
now that they cross some what its seems its not as strong no more sand storms
the fish tend to like the strong current they always play in it
and the corals loving it too everything is just happy

I could offset the flow, I have two of the Sun-Sun PH's, but that just seems crazy. I think by pointing the PH at one of the large rocks it's reducing the flow considerably. The tanks in my office so I'm in front of it for 8 hours a day.

Corals Moved In.

I've got the Corals moved over. The SG is only off by 0.001 from 1.024, parameters are close and so is temp. I've left the Maroon in the 10g with a small cuc. I'm thinking about picking up a Dragon Goby on Friday or the Coral Beauty. I've heard I shouldn't add the Beauty for a while. Not sure about which fish to add, but keeping the maroon in 10g for last. Here's some pics:

Attachments

• Full view.jpg
    Full view.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 102
  • blue Mushroom and Alveopora.jpg
    blue Mushroom and Alveopora.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Candy Cane.jpg
    Candy Cane.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Hammer.jpg
    Hammer.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 99
And some others:

Attachments

• Open Brain.jpg
    Open Brain.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Yellow Polyp and Red Mushroom.jpg
    Yellow Polyp and Red Mushroom.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 325
  • Zoa's.jpg
    Zoa's.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 498
Looks pretty cool, is it just a design and then you do it yourself or do you buy the system?

It all DIY. I must say it has been interesting putting it together since I have never worked with PVC before. Can't wait to get it dialed in so I can move on with other parts of the build.

I've got the Corals moved over. The SG is only off by 0.001 from 1.024, parameters are close and so is temp. I've left the Maroon in the 10g with a small cuc. I'm thinking about picking up a Dragon Goby on Friday or the Coral Beauty. I've heard I shouldn't add the Beauty for a while. Not sure about which fish to add, but keeping the maroon in 10g for last. Here's some pics:

Holy Mackerel!!! That thing looks gorgeous man.

Back
Top Bottom