40 Gallon Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now it's just an empty glass box. I haven't even taken the rattle can to it yet. I'd love some ideas about equipment and other such things. let me know what you think. Oh and it will be a reef.

Ok reef octopus skimmer hob skimmer is fine. I have the BH2000 model. It works great. Read about each model to find the one you like best, and read the reviews by other hobbyist so that you know the pros and cons.

What do you want for lighting? Would you like HOB refugium?

Feel free to jump into the thread people...

I've heard the RO 300 is good. I know Mr. X approves. I've never heard of HOB Refiugum, details? As for the lights Ive got a Tao dimmable and was thinking about using the same light (getting 1 or 2 of the same).

HOB refugium helps take out waste out of your system by growing macroalgae such as chaeto.

When setting up your electrical stuff, always use GFCI protection. Then use surge protection to protect your investment. Also consider grounding probe. A quick google search will help you understand the functions of these 3 things.

Then consider a consider a controller. I use it mostly for heat protection - if my heater is every stuck in the "on" position, then a controller will shut off the heater. Reefkeeper is the common affordable kind, but you can look up more expensive if you would like.

What would you like for circulation pump? Basic pumps like Koralia or exotic MP10s? Or perhaps the quiet Tunze. All great pumps and has their pros and cons. Google will help you find the answers you're looking for.

HOB refugium helps take out waste out of your system by growing macroalgae such as chaeto.

When setting up your electrical stuff, always use GFCI protection. Then use surge protection to protect your investment. Also consider grounding probe. A quick google search will help you understand the functions of these 3 things.

Then consider a consider a controller. I use it mostly for heat protection - if my heater is every stuck in the "on" position, then a controller will shut off the heater. Reefkeeper is the common affordable kind, but you can look up more expensive if you would like.

What would you like for circulation pump? Basic pumps like Koralia or exotic MP10s? Or perhaps the quiet Tunze. All great pumps and has their pros and cons. Google will help you find the answers you're looking for.

I was thinking about using Surge protectors with Timers built in. I've heard people mention controllers in reference to their power heads are you referring to the same thing? I like the Koralia's, especially their fastening system, I'd probably look at those again but am undecided. I'll google the HOB Refuigum, I know what they're for just not the specs on the HOB version.

Look up CPR refugium, the largest being 25" long.

Controllers help control powerheads, but they also have much more functions. Read the full job description of a reefkeeper and an Apex controller. Read about what it has done for people in this hobby.

What do you mean by fastening system for the Koralia?

Fastening system, I meant how it attaches, I like the magnet built into the suction cup. It's double security, but I don't think the magnet will ever fail. Your thoughts on the sand bed, and type of filter?

You will have to decide whether you want a deep sand bed where you dont disturb it and life will grow in it. Or no sand bed / bare bottom (easy cleaning). Or thin sand bed - looks better than bare bottom and purely for looks without the effects of life in the bed. I like bare bottom or thin layer of sand best.

For filtration, you can have live/base rocks for biological. Then you can do water changes or get a simple hob filter for mechanical filtration. Then you can decide for chemical filtration if yiu want them - carbon, gfo, etc. Those media can be set in the hob filter for better effects. Look on reefing seller website to see what is available in the market and research the pro/con/altrrnative before making a decision to buy.

An auto top off system will also benefit you. Stability is a key factor that will help coral growth.

I can show you a pic of my old system later today. The rim of the tank was cluttered and it did not look nice after adding all these equipment. Maybe you will change your mind like I did about using a sump or not.

I understand what you're saying about the sump. This tank is in my office and although I've got room to put in a sump, I don't want to add extra furniture. I have been toying with some different ideas about furniture arrangements and things so that may be a possibility. If I do one I'll get a CPR overflow, I'm not ready to start drilling glass just yet.

My 10g has a thin sand bed and I definitely like the look, I scuba dive and no sand is just weird looking to me. Are there a lot of negatives to doing a deep sand bed? I'd like to get at the least the bottom decided on before I start, will make things much easier.

As far as doing an auto top off, I don't have RO/DI system and don't know how I do that. I've seen some pretty cool set-ups but off the top of my head have no idea how set one of those up.

I'm guessing with the HOB Filter something moving upwards of 350GPH would be sufficient and then add in the PH's. I currently have an Aqueon 75 on my 10g. It's adjustable and max's out at 300GPH. Plus I've got 2 Koralia Nano's (240) and those alternate. 1 on during the day and then off at night when the other turns off. Kinda like a tidal flow, but without the slack tide.

The deep sand bed has some kind of problem. I cant really remember. I think there some issues due to inability to clean it and every decade (approximately) they need to be replaced. Deep sand bed also take up a lot of water volume. 40g might be big for beginners, but it will easily fill up really fast.

Ro/di unit is easy to set up. Mine hooks directly to the faucet and can be unhooked. People make their own permanent ro/di station. If you look up bulkreefsupply, then you will find how easy it is to hook up their ro/di unit with the faucet and unhook when storing the unit. Many units have the same option.

Hob filter is mainly for mechanical filtration. People also use it for carbon and other media.

I do not think you need it. if your looks dirty, then hook it up to tank. Skimmer serves another function, so having a hob filter does not factor into use of skimmer or vice versa.

I like using it for flow as well. I was looking into the controllers, are they basically really fancy timers? I was looking at the ReefKeeper Lite basic. Also, I'm gonna go with the RefOct BH 300. I'm still not sure about the HOB Refugium. Also, read up on the DSB vs SSB and will go with SSB. I'm almost ready to start buying stuff and my radiator explodes! bummer...

Life gets in the way of this hobby sometimes :p

Yes controllers are basically an improved version of a timer that lets your have more control of your tank. Temperature control - such as if the heater is stuck on the "on" mode, then your heater will turn off. pH control - it lets you know if there are pH fluctuations (pH needs to be stable for a great coral growth). Those are the two things I like. I does a lot more when I read about it, but I don't really care about all the other functions. Reefkeeper basic is a good start. If you stay in the hobby in the long haul, then you'd probably get a Apex as the next controller ;)

I picked up a HOB 300 gph and two SunSun Wavemakers 1585 GPH, $50. I couldn't pass that up. Also, considering a Hydor in-tank skimmer. Have you heard of it? Thoughts? I'm also going to add some plastic diffuser from lights in the bottom, I don't want any rocks falling through the glass...

Nope never heard of a hob hydor skimmer. You probably know more about it than i do, both good and bad things about it.

It's an in tank skimmer and I found it for $70.00 off retail so I ordered it. I guess I'll find out if it's worth a s**t. Got the diffuser so just got to cut and fit. Almost ready, gotta wait to get sand and rock though. I'm starting to get that 5 year old feeling again!

I know the feeling. I got my order from BulkReefSupply yesterday. Got 20lbs of Fiji Pink Sands and 20lbs of Reef Saver Rock. Let me know when your skimmer comes in.

Back
Top Bottom