5 gallon tank possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hubs wants a saltwatertank and I am buying a five gallon tank later today off of craigslist. Is it possible to have a 5 gallon saltwater tank? Or is it not worth the effort?

I am going to do small since he is like a child and will get bored easily with it. And being a SAHM with 2 children under 3 there is only so many hours in the day...

Hubs wants a saltwatertank and I am buying a five gallon tank later today off of craigslist. Is it possible to have a 5 gallon saltwater tank? Or is it not worth the effort?

I am going to do small since he is like a child and will get bored easily with it. And being a SAHM with 2 children under 3 there is only so many hours in the day...

It is possible, difficult, but possible. How experienced in SW are you?

Small tanks are very difficult. I am actually in the process of taking apart a 2 gallon that I couldn't keep up with... My 55 is much easier. Small tanks have large water quality swings very easily, as well as temperature. The larger the water volume the easier to maintain parameters, and correct when needed...

So like a 20 gallon would be easier? And it's easier because the water parameters will be more stable and less erratic?

I have a 5 gallon nano with two baby clown fish (which ill be moving in a few months to my 29 gal biocube) and a clown goby and a twin spot sand sifting goby :) everyone's happy so far no losses

Maintaining a 5 gallon is easy I have two, never lost a fish and never lost any invertebrates. Used live sand and live rock and cycled in a month. Added clown fish and gobies and such and everyone has been happy every since. Top of water everyday and my water parameters have ever gone pass 1.0 in any case. I have had both aquariums for about 3 months now and they are doing great. As long as you stay on top of monthly water changes or a cup a week water change method you will be fine.

Ok so you're unbelievably awesome. Cool. Anyways, nano tanks are difficult, unless you are the above person. Anyone will tell you that in a nano tank you are more likely to have parameter, water quality, and temperature swings that would be much quicker and drastic than in a bigger tank. Evaporation is much more impactive and salinity goes up very rapidly.

Now do you keep corals, or just fish? Do you realize the importance of water stability while keeping corals? I don't keep corals and realize the importance of it just from reading posts on here. If the OP is going to keep only fish, then it's not AS important, but you can't assume they won't want corals.

So, back to my previous statement, please don't thinly keeping a 5 gallon tank is easy.

Had a 16g and now have a 20g, neither are what I would consider easy. If you aren't the type of person who enjoys messing with your tank on a daily basis then a nano probably isn't for you. The amount of water that evaporates daily is actually pretty amazing.

Had a 16g and now have a 20g, neither are what I would consider easy. If you aren't the type of person who enjoys messing with your tank on a daily basis then a nano probably isn't for you. The amount of water that evaporates daily is actually pretty amazing.

I don't mind daily stuff as long as we aren't talking hours of work. As long as it is relatively the same. I don't mind stuff that will be able to put into a routine.

Ok so you're unbelievably awesome. Cool. Anyways, nano tanks are difficult, unless you are the above person. Anyone will tell you that in a nano tank you are more likely to have parameter, water quality, and temperature swings that would be much quicker and drastic than in a bigger tank. Evaporation is much more impactive and salinity goes up very rapidly.

Now do you keep corals, or just fish? Do you realize the importance of water stability while keeping corals? I don't keep corals and realize the importance of it just from reading posts on here. If the OP is going to keep only fish, then it's not AS important, but you can't assume they won't want corals.

So, back to my previous statement, please don't thinly keeping a 5 gallon tank is easy.

And I don't really care what's in it to be honest. I read somewhere crabs and shrimp are normal for a small tank and they mentioned sea horses but they also said it was complex and I am not experienced and that is WAY over my head. The hubs will do it for 2 weeks and get over it so it's on me and I have my own freshwater tank and I think I have the concepts and theories down but when I put them in my bigger tank will be my big test.

Just get live sand, 7 lbs of live rock, and pre made salt water, a marine land led light, and a aqua clear filter for a 20 gallon tank, cycle it (I used to clown fish) and then your good to go. Do a solo cup a week water change and top of with freshwater(RO) daily. And you will be fine.

My advice is at least go with a 10 gallon. Seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference, but it does. My first tank is a 70 gallon + 45 gallon sump. My second is a 20 gallon and I had a much more difficult time getting it stable. The salinity swings more and it doesn't allow for a lot of laziness. It's good that you got the basic concepts down, but FW and SW are very different. Wish you the best of luck :)

Just get live sand, 7 lbs of live rock, and pre made salt water, a marine land led light, and a aqua clear filter for a 20 gallon tank, cycle it (I used to clown fish) and then your good to go. Do a solo cup a week water change and top of with freshwater(RO) daily. And you will be fine.

So you're talking bout a fish in cycle with a 5 gallon tank. Bad idea. Why a marine land led light, and not a Wave Point? Why premade salt, and not say to mix their own? Why a red solo cup and not a percentage of water? I don't think you really have any idea about the mechanics of a nano tank personally.

So you're talking bout a fish in cycle with a 5 gallon tank. Bad idea. Why a marine land led light, and not a Wave Point? Why premade salt, and not say to mix their own? Why a red solo cup and not a percentage of water? I don't think you really have any idea about the mechanics of a nano tank personally.

My nano tank is fine. And because everyone has red solo cups and that percentage of water works perfectly fine. And a marine land led light is efficient and reliable. Also I trust marine land more than any other company in the world. And premade salt is only 3 dollars for every 10 gallons where I live. And petco sells 8 gallons of salt mix for 10.99 so I figured its a better deal and easier. And I used fish to cycle my 5 gallon and it worked just fine. Didnt lose any fish. I don't know why your so defensive I mean everybody has their own ideas I'm just saying what worked for me. We all have our methods and those are mine. All worked perfect for me and for my 6 other aquariums in my room. So I don't see the problem with any of it.

Back
Top Bottom