55 gallon reef - First Saltwater Build Ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so I just tested my water straight from the drum I got from the LFS. It read 1.026. This is the right salinity for the tank correct?

One thing I just thought of which I think I've stuffed up, is I've been topping up evaporation with the same salt water from the LFS I filled the tank with.

Should I just be using normal RO water to top up, and NSW for water changes? If so what can I do to get the salinity back to normal now? I'm about a week and a half into cycling, and my ammonia is down to .50.

Anyone? Just need to know because it's morning here and I have time to head down to the LFS and get RO water quickly.

Right, thought so. Evaporation would only take the water, not the salt. Silly of me. I'll head down to grab some RO water and do a small water change. Cheers mate.

Just another quickie. I'll be ordering an RO/DI unit soon.

Until then, the water at the LFS is only RO I think, not RO/DI. At least it only says "RO Water" on the sign. Will this be sufficient or does it have to be RO/DI? It will only be for use for the next couple of weeks until my RO/DI unit arrives.

Hey everyone, just checking up. I tested my water today.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite looks like zero, may be between 0 and 0.25, but pretty sure 0
Nitrate somewhere between 10 and 20

I had to do a 15% water change yesterday to lower my salinity, which is now down to 1.024.

I first added 13 pound of live rock 2.5 weeks ago (which was partly cured, had been at LFS 2 weeks), then added 30 more pound of fresh live rock 1.5 weeks ago, but removed 20 pound of it as I found a couple of aiptasia. I also added around 15-20 pound of base rock a week ago.

Does it look like my cycle is nearly complete? Either way I'm going to leave it another 1 or 1.5 weeks to be safe, but is this too early for my levels to be so low?

Talking to myself again by the looks of it :(

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate Dark yellow, maybe between 10-20?
pH 8.2
Salinity 1.025

How much % water change should I do to try and get the nitrate down?

So, as soon as I get this nitrate down the cycle will be complete.. yay!! Is there any advantage to waiting further time periods after the cycle completes before adding fish, or am I good to add a couple of clowns in exactly one week (my birthday!)?

Not talking to yourself. :-D

I owuld do a 15-20% pwc and then see where youre at.

Thanks Carey, yeah I'll do it in the next couple of hours and see how I go.

Redid the aquascape a few days ago, took me HOURS! :banghead: I did come up with something very nice though and there's plenty of caves and holes for the fish to swim though. I'll get an updated picture up soon.

I am a little worried I may have a mantis shrimp though. Every now and then at night (after around 11pm), I clicky sounds from around the tank. It's usually 3 consecutive clicks but not always. I've moved around my rock a lot in the past 3 weeks and never seen any life besides one medium sized snail. I'm just worried because I'll be adding my first fish in a week and really don't want them to become shrimp food! :eek:

Hmm.. so I did probably a 15% water change, and my nitrate is still pretty much the same. I think it's about 5 or 10 on the API test kits thing, but I'm not 100% sure. It's definitely not light enough to be zero. Any idea how to get them down further? Just more water changes?

New aquascape, ready for stocking. It took me hours, but I'm very happy with the results. The aim was to create a nice, low structure that had plenty of holes for the fish to swim through and hide under. I also aimed to have plenty of places to put corals. I think I've achieved both of these goals :)

Just need to get this nitrate down. First fish should be swimming about in one week.

Thanks mate! Will look better with some pretty fishies and coral in there.. next week! :)

matthewh133 said:
Thanks mate! Will look better with some pretty fishies and coral in there.. next week! :)

Hehe I know, waiting is the hard part isn't it? Just remember to take it slow with your sticking plans, saltwater tanks are a painful experience for impatient people(like me) ;)

Looks good! And yep, take it slow stocking wise. :) make sure you post a picture of your first creatures.

Yeah I'll be taking it slow :) I'll be adding 5-6 turbos on Sunday, then 2 clowns and one small coral on Friday. This isn't too much to start with is it? I then planned on adding a new fish once every 2-3 weeks after that.

Back
Top Bottom