55 gallon reef - First Saltwater Build Ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm. That may be the way to go. Base rock seems to be a lot easier to get the shapes I want. I may grab another 10 pound of live rock, and 10 pound of base. So 50/50. Really hoping I can sell this other rock soon.

How long does this horrendous smell last for guys? Added the live rock on Friday and my god, I have to leave my bedroom window wide open all day (even when it's bloody freezing outside). Even then my room smells absolutely foul. Good thing you get used to it after a little bit, but I get a disgusting woof of it every time I enter the room.

Also, day 4 of live rock going in and diatoms showing up now on the rock and sand. At least I think it's diatoms, small brown hair.

This is unbelievale. I'm really pissed right now. Just found out one piece of the live rock (the very large bit) I purchased online has a couple of Aiptasia on it. I'm writing an angry letter to the seller now. Any ideas on what I should write?

Tank only just began cycling and I'm already having to deal with something like this. It seems to be just on that piece of rock, should I be worried about it spreading if I take it out now? Also, where should I put this rock? I really don't want to completely lose it, or let it die off as it's about 22 pound and worth at least $60-80 if I were able to sell it.

Ok so I ended up removing the large piece of rock from the tank and buying some nice shaped base rock that I'll be able to aquascape with.

For the moment I'm not putting the base rock in until I can sell off some of the live rock I have in there currently.

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean the sand bed? There's all types of yucky looking stuff on the bottom after having the large piece of live rock sitting there and things dying off.

Diatoms are also on the sand bed and live rock now. Ammonia is at around 1.5.

Stir the sand gently and go over the sand leaving about 1" between the vac and sand. You might pick up a little bit of sand but thats usually un avoidable.

+1, I also put the sand from the bucket back into the tank as good as I can. While you're cycling(fishless) I wouldn't do water-changes anyway though and later on there isn't a lot to vacuum if you have enough flow

Thanks guys :)

Another question, I want to move some live rock from my DT to the sump so I can put some base rock in the DT. Will the live rock survive in the refugium without a power head of some sort, and is there a limit to the amount of live rock I can put down there?

Also, should I break down the live rock into small bits in the refugium? I'm planning on trying to find some chaeto (hard to get in Australia).

Ok, so one week since adding the live rock here are my parameters:

Ammonia 1ppm
pH 8.2
Nitrite 1ppm
Nitrate 10

Is this normal at this stage of the cycle?

Also, I do have diatoms growing on the sand and live rock, as well as some purple/red colored hair. Is this also normal at this stage of the cycle?

Great to hear :) Thanks Carey.

The diatoms and red hair algae are just the sign of a cycling tank too correct? Nothing to be worried about? Best just to let it run it's course and get fixed up by a clean up crew after the cycle?

Diatoms will come and go in new tanks...the red algae is a bit different but I would wait for the cycle is complete before worrying about it.

Yeah, I'm honestly not too fussed. I'm thinking it may be as a result of prolonged exposure to light sunlight from my window, as I've had to keep it open 24/7 as the smell from the cycling live rock is gross.

Hmm.. I just attempted to calibrate my refractometer for the first time with distilled water, and with my first test got a result of 1.034.. surely this can't be right. My water is natural salt water from a highly regarded LFS where most Melbourne reef aquarists get their water. I didn't check the temperature of the room/distilled water, can this skew the results that much?

I;m not sure, I think temp can play a role but the refractometer should be reading close I would think even if that were the case.

have you tried testing any other water?

Back
Top Bottom