Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
The less maintenance you want to do the more live rock you should drop into the tank. Built in biological filtration with no added work or hassle. I'd have LR over a machanical filter any day of the week.

Sounds like you're going to have a really hard time keeping this hobby simple. It inevitably ends up with you putting piping through your wall to a basement sump. Good luck keeping it contained!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Do I _really_ need LR? It would cost me fortune for my tank. Isn't my $290 filter good enough for my FO tank?
$290 spent on Live Rock is a much better purchase than $290 spent on a filter. Like Phyl said, LR makes the tank easier to maintain than other types of filtration. Also, marine tanks are not simple, even if you want them to be.

*26 freshwater*
2x Sunburst Platys (2M, 2F) // 3x Neon Tetras (?) // 2x Cherry Barbs (1M, 1F) // 2x YoYo Loaches (?) // 1x Bushy Nose Pleco (M) // 1x Clown Pleco (?) //

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Wanna say hi too from Williamstown, grew up in Cherry Hill....anyways, live rock...live rock...live rock, have had my 55 going since Jan with 80lbs of live rock and a DSB, been a piece of cake maintence wise. I do have a wet dry filter and have been removing the bioballs and will replace it with live rubble. Anyways, get the cycle going and have fun, hoping things don't get frustrating but so far so good.......good luck to ya. Everyone here has been a great help. I just still can't find my baby conchs though

it's a free trip around the sun...enjoy the ride
dizzyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
seriously, you may not think you want LR now, but eventually you will. Do yourself a favor by saving money and order 3/4 of it off of hirocks.com, i think its 50 bucks for 30lbs. If you get like 60 lbs of base and 30lbs of live you should be good. You generally want 1-1.5 per gallon. It looks a hell of a lot nicer, and will keep your system more stable. I am by far an expert, ive had my tank up for 2-3 months now, and it is really addicting, i was the same way, keep it simple, but if your gonna go with that big of a tank, you might as well go all out. Any thoughts on a protein skimmer? Make sure to QT your fish also. Good luck, and welcome to AA.
50 Gallon Oceanic: 2 maxijet 1200's, 2 150 watt visitherm heaters, BakPak II Skimmer with PS & BT, Coralife Lunar 2X65 watt Power Compacts

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
If tanks are usually not sucessful w/o LR then I am missing something here as I am about to fill a 110 gal tank w/o it. I was at Big Al's here in s FL and he has a 5000 gal display tank and over 20,000 gal of retail tanks and they have nothing run w/ LR. They use the plug in plastic reef systems. It's the same fake rock systems used in the giant tank in the Shed Aquarium in Chicago. If they can do this commercially why not in a home FO system?
AnnnetteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a big believer in 1 pound of live rock per gal. But hold on you could add some cheap base rock. I know if you research it you can even find instructions on making your own. You need to add sand to your bed buy some live rock to seed it. I would put a 6 damsels in there and wait about 1 year before I would try adding and higher priced fish making sure the damsels make it first. Most all lfs will take the damsels back in trade for the fish you really want once you get going. Take it slow this is not an overnite hobby The real key is patiance taking it slow. I have 2 tanks going and that is how I approached it after losing a bunch of fish back 20 years ago. Good luck wish you well.
ashobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
...am I kidding myself that what i want to achieve can be done without the LR?
Spinman, I'll come out of the closet and admit to having a FO tank without live rock. I have a 90 gallon tank, and although the vast majority of Aquarium Advice members are proponents of live rock, I opted for dead coral for my decor and a W/D filter. You can do this without live rock if you want to - it's entirely up to you. I'm a relative newbie at this aquarium stuff, only 6 weeks in, and I may eventually decide to go the live rock route, but for now, I'm leaving my tank the way it is - no live rock.

Good luck to you.

Currently under construction:
90 Gallon SWFOWLR
Marineland Sedona stand and canopy
80 pounds of aragonite sand, 20 pounds live sand
MagDrive 7 pump
SeaLife protein skimmer
VisiTherm 250Watt heater

List of possible fish:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
3 Neon Blue Gobies
1 Yellow Eye Tang
Several Blue Reef Chromis
Shannono is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com