adding cured rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penczer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my tank is or has crashed..very high ammonia levels. almost 2 weeks ..have tried everything now I'm thinking ...could my "live rock" be dead and causing ammonia spike? can I take it out and add cured rock?

That happened to me. I had a big crash and everything on my rocks died. I found dead worms and all sorts of critters. Take them out if you see them. Just wait it out. The balance of life will take over. Mine took 5 weeks. After it was done spiking I added more LR to help seed the rest of the rock that had "died". Don't get discouraged. I messed up and performed alot of PWC during my spike which accidentally helped hinder the nitrifiying bacteria to grow into big numbers.

How long has your tank been set and do you have fish?

cured rock

my 40 tank is 6mos old down-sized from a 75 ..the fish are all over 2yrs old
at the moment I have a small 31/2 inch tang (yes I know I shouldn't) 4 small damsels I small clown. I know must give up tang but he is my very favorite fish.. silly to be so attached...have taken 1/2 my live rock out and have in "soaking" with airation ..thinking my rock might be the cause of spike....if I see no change tomorrow will give up the tang and add more cured rock

Back
Top Bottom