Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Adding Dwarf Angel? (I’ve read conflicting facts…)

Hey guys,

As you can see from my signature, I have a salt water tank and fairly soon I would like to add the last or second to last fish to the tank, because I don’t want to overstock of course. I absolutely like the Coral Beauty and the Flame dwarf angels. From what I’ve read that would be okay for my size tank (40g breeder) however a marine book I purchased recommended placing them in tanks that have ran for several months. Is this just an extra precaution or would my tank be okay if it has been running for only a month oir so.

When my 40g cycled it was able to take the bioload of my clownfish and goby from my 20g without issues. I’ve since added one cardinal after waiting a week or so without any issues either.

I know that angelfish have their own food dedicated for them, I’ve seen it in the freezer at various LFS. Is this stuff actually good enough? I’m just wondering if you guys have run into major issues/difficulty having these fish? I won’t be getting corals so I’m not worried about a dwarf angel doing any harm. I think it would be a great addition to my tank, just want to make sure it doesn't turn into some nightmare.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

If the tank has been running for 1 month it's certainly not ready for more fish. I would wait before rushing into purchasing a fish like this. You may just end up with a headache and a dead fish which could lead to other problems arising.

Patience is key with saltwater

Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I understand that patience is key, I'm not trying to rush this, I'm actually spending time researching and posting on here.

What would be the difference between my tank now and in 2 months from now? As long as I'm performing my water chances my ammonia and nitrite should continue to stay at zero. There is as much beneficial bacteria as there is waste being produced right? I don't think adding a tiny dwarf angel would offset anything to make the tank conditions bad enough to cause death. Am I wrong? is there something else I haven't factored in? Just like anyone else I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Like I said I don't mind waiting awhile, I just want to make sure if it's really necessary to wait several months for one fish.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your doing the right thing by asking and researching. The difference between your tank now and 2 months from now is stability. You may think from here on out its smooth sailing but if you have done research you would know cycling takes a lot longer then 1 month. Another 2 months of the tank running how it is currently is a lot of time to grow beneficial bacteria, etc. In the end you will have a healthier tank. I'm not trying to tell you how to run your tank, but you asked for advice and advice has been given. I can only caution you to what may happen if you add the fish. Maybe the fish will be fine, but maybe it will die. I am just saying that if you wait there's less possibility of anything happening.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good on you for researching. SW tanks mature relatively slowly. I wouldn't call one healthy or stable until a year passed. You are already agressively stocked IMO.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

you also have to consider if you want to make it a reef aquarium, its hit or miss that an angel fish withh be safe in it, it is possible that it may attack your corals, hold off for not and decide what you fully want from your system. let it build alot more benificial bacteria and let it keep itself stable. .
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Good on you for researching. SW tanks mature relatively slowly. I wouldn't call one healthy or stable until a year passed. You are already agressively stocked IMO.
From all the reading I've done, I know I'm near stocked, the majority of articles I've read, and using the website that calculates your stock percentage I 'm sure I have room for at least one more. Right now the tank only has 3 very small fish. Granted they will become larger but most of them won't go pass 3.5 inches or so.

Not trying to go against your opinion, I do appreciate your advice, I just feel IMO that I'm not exactly aggressively stocked. I've seen some people's tanks that are definitely aggressively stocked though; hate it when I see a bunch of tangs jammed together or 20 clowns in a small tank at a pet store.

Anything additional I can do to promote stability in my tank besides waiting? (Or throwing in some Stability sold at the LFS joking of course I haven't done that lol, not sure how good that stuff is, although their prime product is great)

Regardless I will do some more waiting and research until I get another fish. Best thing I could do right now I guess
Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

My fault HN1, I've on duty at work and I'm tired....I misread and thought you meant that I was aggressively over stocked...lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

*sigh*
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

You will also find by waiting you will appreciate the tank more. If you build a tank in a matter of a few weeks and its completely stocked in a half a year you will find that it gets boring because really there's only maintenance to be done at that point. But if you slowly add your livestock and corals the tank will change at a slower rate which will make it more enjoyable to watch. I know you said you wont be getting corals, but that will add some color and depending on type of coral... movement in the tank. Torch corals, hammer corals, and others can sway in the current. Only thing is I wouldn't add any of those corals for a bit longer. You could add a coral frag like a zoanthid, ricordea or mushroom and be fine though. Those are all hardy choices.

Tags
angel, dwarf, dwarf angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com