Algae Break out in 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexrd09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Algae Break Please HELP

My 10gallon tank seems to be running fine all the levels seem to be under controll but i have a major algae break out. I bought a crab but it seems that the algae is too much for him. Any sugestions? I was also wondering what i could do to help my Zoo's reproduce is there anything i can do to encourage it to replicate?

Attachments

• SDC10105.jpg
    SDC10105.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 58
  • SDC10103.jpg
    SDC10103.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Algae problem?

what do i do to controll this massive algae bloom in my 10g?

Attachments

• SDC10105.jpg
    SDC10105.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 85
  • SDC10103.jpg
    SDC10103.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 69
What exactly are your levels? "Under Control" means different things to different folks. And what type of algae are we talking about here?

As I mentioned in your other posts, specific water parameters (the numbers) will help start things off.

Just in looking at where the algae is located, I'm *guessing* that maybe that area of your tank is a "dead spot" where you don't get much flow? Or that's the area that all the debris and uneaten food collect? What do you have for fish, and what do you have for water flow in there?

I will get back to you on the levels and it seems to be a green algae and a red algae not sure... i posted the picture to see if anyone recognized them...

I am feeding spectrum and live rotifers. I have a Maderin and a clown. The flow seems to be fine and i feed every3 days and try not to overfeed.

no it is in a dark room and the lights are only running 6 hours a day. I recently lowered from 8 to try to bring algae under control

... The flow seems to be fine ...

OK... but exactly are you using to push the water around with - like powerhead brands and models, and quantities? Just like water parameters, things like "fine" just don't give us anything to sink our teeth into when it comes to problem solving.

I currently have a AquaClear 30 filter and a Tropfin 20 filter set up to draw water from left and right and to return towards the middle. I have been using Prime to try and keep the nitrates down but currently dont have the means to test the levels properly. I plan on running a battery of test ASAP to get exact levels.

I'd also look into getting a power head for it even though it is a 10g. Hydor koralia makes a great nano tank power head.

What can i use for nitrates i was under the impression that it "detoxifies nitrite and nitrates" but i probably have a misunderstanding of what this means...

Just make sure your cycle is complete and keep up with your water changes, nitrates shouldn't be to much of a challenge after that. make sure when you only add something efery other week or so to. Keep your bioload low enough for your beneficial bacterial colonies to keep up. In a 10g your main source of filtration will be your LR and your Live Sand if you have it.

Just curious but what do you have in your filter media area? I'd take out the stock filter media and throw in some Live Rock Rubble.

Activated carbon, a sponge looking particle filter, and a netted bag with white rocks in it(not sure what this is for bu it cam with the AquaClear 30 filter). Thanks will do... is carbon still necessary if i swap the filter media out for LR

As long as you aren't dumping in any crazy chemicals or medicating the tank you should be fine without the carbon. Just make sure your LR rubble is cured before you throw it in or it could cause an ammonia spike.

Here are the levels i was able to get in my tank....
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 0
Alkalitity: 300
PH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.024

T swaped out one of the filer medias from my tropfin 20 filter and replaced it with ruble LR. I am hopping this will help with the nitrate lvl's and did a 20% water change. Is there any thing else i should do?

These are my levels:
Nirate: 20
Nitrite: 0
Alkalitity: 300
PH: 8.0
Salinity. 1.024

I swaped the filter media out of the tropfin 20 filter for 2/3 LB or rubble live rock and did a partial water change. I intend to do a more thorough test once i get my tester kit but thats all i was able to get for know.

Back
Top Bottom