Am i done cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmetcalf

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started my tank cycling 11 days ago. I have a 30gal with 20lbs of live rock, half cured half not. I added a cocktail shrimp to start the cycling process as well as a "bacteria in a bottle" sort of thing.

I was away this past weekend and when I saw my tank this morning it was covered in brown algae (which i understand is normal in the cycling process)

Here is my recorded params for the cycling so far:

day number ammonia nitrate nitrite pH

------1 ----0--------- 0----- 0----7.8
------4--- 1.0-------0-5.0-- 0.25--8.1

did 10% water change

------6---0.5 or 1--- 0to5.0--0.25--8.1
-----11-----0----------0------0---off the chart

(please excuse the dashes between numbers, that was to keep them in their respective collumns)

given that the values have reached zero, it seems that the cycling process is done, although this worries me since it's only been 11 days. Also, why is the pH off the chart? The top end of the pH scale is purple and my sample turned out dark blue. (I tested twice with two different test tubes to be sure)

So, am i done cycling? where should i go from here?

I think something else is going on since your nitrAtes are reading 0. I'd give it some more time. Certain times in the cycle the high levels of ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte can cause our test kits to read bonkers. I think that's what's going on here. Just be patient.

Is the shrimp gone? I'd add another if it is for now.

Also, what test kit are you using?

the shrimp isn't gone yet. It had a big fuzz ball around it for a while but that's gone now. It's about 1/2 the volume it was when i put it in on day one.

I have an "Aquarium Pharmaceuticals" brand test kit.

API makes decent test kits.

My advice would be to just hang tight for a bit. I don't think you're quite done with your cycle and things will probably start to settle back out in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom