Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RICH305

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have had my tank up and running for four weeks and I just started checking my ammonia levels I ran it for one week with just rock and another three weeks with fish..I've only been checking the levels for three days and today the ammonia level is at 0.50 the past days they were at 0ppm I dnt kno if the tank has cycled yet and this be part of the cycle?

Yes I took it to the fish store and they checked but they never told me n e thing they just said it was ready for two damsels

Was it LR? IMO I don't think your tank is cycled yet. What I would do is remove the fish and put in a piece of raw shrimp. Check the water parameters after a few days and you should see a definite rise in ammonia levels. (2ppm+). Then you should test the water every few days afterwards. You'll see the ammonia drop to 0; but the nitrites and nitrates will be very high. Keep testing and when the nitrites drop to 0, do a 50% PWC and you'll be able to add the fish back in.

How long does it take for the cycle with the raw shrimp cycle?

Depends on how much LR you have. I cycled a smaller (20G) tank in about two and a half weeks with LR rubble and a raw shrimp.

And yes it was live rock 40 pounds 85gallon tank and live sand

You could be looking at four weeks or so. You can cycle with the fish but it will require daily water changes, monitoring of the water and will take at least as long as the shrimp method.

I would say the first thing you need is your own testing kit. API master freshwater kit has everything you'll need.
Keep in mind the store wants to sell you stuff without regard to what is right and/or proper. They managed to sell you damsels which i dont' even know if you wanted or not, they are some nasty fish.

The only reason I put these poor fish in was because the store told me the water was ready..then I went back and talked to a diffrent guy he told me that he don't think the water has cycled yet.and that he wish he was there so he could of stopped me from buying fish....if I leave the fish in with the cycle going on will it kill them? That's if the cycle hasn't happened yet

Attachments

• image-1130030455.jpg
    image-1130030455.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 76
I would use two raw shrimp to jump start your cycle. 2 damsels in an 85 gallon tank don't provide enough bio-load to get a cycle going quickly. Do the fishless cycle and test your water every few days. That's the only way to be sure; and it's more humane.

Ughh wish I would of knew now I'm stuck with these two damsels a yellow/purple fish and this yellow tang and over 30 crabs and 5snails...with the chance of all these dieing after the cycle...smh

The best thing would be to return the fish if you can. If you cant you can still finish your cycle with the fish. It will just mean alot of pwc's. It can be done and has been. Not the best choice though. See if you can return the fish or leave them at the lfs until youre really ready.

You sure bought a lot of fish. I'm sure the LFS said your tank was ready; they'll be ready to sell you some more too. How long is your tank? 5ft?

What do you guys think about the rock set up?

Attachments

• image-1558177245.jpg
    image-1558177245.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2149558675.jpg
    image-2149558675.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3046299992.jpg
    image-3046299992.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1561791398.jpg
    image-1561791398.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 72
Yea they checked my water every week I've and then he told me I was ready for another fish after the damsel and he said but no more than one fish smh

Nice looking tank but IMO, it's too small for a tang. They really like their swimming room is what I've read. I've read posts recommending at least 48".

Back
Top Bottom