andrews 20 g reef transition build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont know much about skimmers but the hob refugium looks like an aquaclear. Id get and aquaclear and make a diy refugium to be honest

hmm i hadn't thought about that. i'll have to go to the store so i can see the actual size of the aquaclears, because google shopping doesn't give size specifications. i will probably either get the 50 or 70 gallon filter. the 50 is 200 gph and the 70 is 300

hmm i hadn't thought about that. i'll have to go to the store so i can see the actual size of the aquaclears, because google shopping doesn't give size specifications. i will probably either get the 50 or 70 gallon filter. the 50 is 200 gph and the 70 is 300

Yes. There are quite a feq diy links on a google search for "diy aquaclear refugium"
Id go with the 70. Its all simple and you shouldn't have to spend any extra money making it besides silicone. You use the filter media tray for the molding of the refugium part. I looked it up and its really neat and saves quite a bit. But if not I know for a fact there are better HOB refugiums online for sale.

You dont need a skimmer or hob or sump for a sw tank. You who are saying this need to research the basics before giving advice. Wrong advice at that. Do some research and try and answer it again. A tank can be very healthy with only LR, good circulation, and water changes.

And why are y'all arguing on another members thread about your tanks? This is someone else's build thread.

PROTEIN SKIMMER ADVANTAGE:
Protein skimmers help maintain low nitrate levels by retarding nitrate buildup. They remove organic waste before it has a chance to break down and release nitrogen compounds. The use of a protein skimmer is essential in reef aquariums where a very low nitrate level is crucial for coral health.

SECONDARY BENEFITS
The many secondary benefits of protein skimmers improve the overall health and quality of water in your marine aquarium. In addition to efficient waste removal, protein skimmers also:
Reduce phosphate to help prevent aggressive nuisance algae growth.
Remove any biological toxins released from corals, algae, or invertebrates.
Promote proper gas exchange and increase oxygen level for healthy inhabitants.
Help maintain proper pH by preventing acidic condition due to carbon dioxide buildup.
Help support a large bioload, particularly when used in conjunction with a sump.
Remove oily surface wastes to help improve light penetration in your aquarium.
Improve REDOX and reduce disease-causing organisms when used with an ozonizer.

If your gonna do that, go with the 70, a bit more room for your plants? There's also an aquaclear 110 I think would be better?

PROTEIN SKIMMER ADVANTAGE:
Protein skimmers help maintain low nitrate levels by retarding nitrate buildup. They remove organic waste before it has a chance to break down and release nitrogen compounds. The use of a protein skimmer is essential in reef aquariums where a very low nitrate level is crucial for coral health.

SECONDARY BENEFITS
The many secondary benefits of protein skimmers improve the overall health and quality of water in your marine aquarium. In addition to efficient waste removal, protein skimmers also:
Reduce phosphate to help prevent aggressive nuisance algae growth.
Remove any biological toxins released from corals, algae, or invertebrates.
Promote proper gas exchange and increase oxygen level for healthy inhabitants.
Help maintain proper pH by preventing acidic condition due to carbon dioxide buildup.
Help support a large bioload, particularly when used in conjunction with a sump.
Remove oily surface wastes to help improve light penetration in your aquarium.
Improve REDOX and reduce disease-causing organisms when used with an ozonizer.

Like I said. You dont need any of those for a 20g. Live rock and circulation and waterchanges is all you really NEED. All those are our benefits to reduce WCs

ok guys, just got home from work and opened up my new bridgelux dimmable LEDs. so far I'm really liking what i see. this thing lights my whole room up, my girlfriend said "you better have it on a timer, so its not on when I'm sleeping" lol.
img_2658046_0_84c63863db75c6f0fef1aef510079886.jpg

img_2658046_1_374643cb03de6332f392d2b798cf74b9.jpg

and a little test run. these fans are very quiet, I can only hear them when I am up close to them, and I'm really digging it.
img_2658046_2_8df09348d6c87cacee4fe02f5854258d.jpg

the clown fish are also doing good!! its so hard to take a picture of them, they never stay still. hmm i might have finally to make a youtube account ;) now i need to figure out how to mount it, because I'm not sure that my ceiling can handle it. suggestions?

yeah i might do that, i got the okay from my girlfriends mom but i gotta ask her dad first and don't know if he's going to go for it. i need to quit spending so much money on fish tanks, and get my own place lol

yeah i might do that, i got the okay from my girlfriends mom but i gotta ask her dad first and don't know if he's going to go for it. i need to quit spending so much money on fish tanks, and get my own place lol

It won't work, I need a place just for my tanks apart from my wife, blablabla to much noise,,, lol

true, true. how high should the light be above the water? i got another 29 gallon from the dollar per gallon sale, and might just upgrade this tank already, before i put anything in it. what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom