Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Assembling my 55g FOWLR (opinions please!)

Hello everyone!

Well I'm making the jump from FW to SW. A friend of mine had a bunch of equipment sitting in his house that he wanted to get rid of so I went over today and picked it all up and came home and went through what was there.

Since this is my first tank I want to keep it pretty simplistic. I do want to run a sump setup. He gave me a 20g breeder but it doesn't look like it's going to fit under the tank. I do have some acrylic experience so I'm throwing around the idea of making my own sump. How man gallons of water would you recommend the sump to hold for a 55g?

Here's a list of the equipment I received as well. I wasn't planning on using any of the hang on the back filters but I figured I'd post what I have incase you guys would have any ideas on using them in some way.

(2) marineland HOT canister filters (1 with bio wheel)
(2) Askoll 201 Powerhead (which seems to now be called Aquaclear?)
(1) Askoll AC5000 powerhead (this thing is massive but I couldn't find any info on it
(1) Rio 2500 return pump (I found that it's rated for 375gph with 6' height, not sure how well that will work with my setup?)

Any of these usable? I didn't see much use of powerheads in FOWLR tank setups. Are they mainly used in reef setups?

I'm planning on using aragonite and trying to find dry rock (not sure what it's called when it's not "live") to save some on cost. I'm not in a huge rush to get it going. My LFS was recommending to set the tank up for a 1 day or 2 to get the salinity correct and the temp right then to put (2) damsels in the tank to start the cycling. They have a LOT of saltwater experience but it seems against the norm on the forum so I'm curious your thoughts on that.

I read a lot about putting shrimp in the tank to start the cycle. How does that work? What shrimp are recommended?

Well I guess that's it for now. My question is going to be lighting as I don't think there was anything included. I'm hoping I can make my own. I do a lot of plastic work where I work so I'm thinking I can get some light fixtures and make a plastic case for them.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Nick

Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
your sump could be as large as you want/need. i would shoot for the largest sump i could fit in the space i have available.

i would probably run carbon in one or both of the cannister filters.
i would keep the powerheads to mix water with in my water change barrel, and buy a couple new ones.
many folks use hydor koralias, and now there are many companies who copy them. i like the seio prop pumps because they have better magnets and seem to be constructed better.
powerheads are important in FOWLR tanks as well as reefs. you want uneaten food and fish poop suspended in the water column as long as possible so your filtration can remove it.

don't torture damsels to cycle the tank. besides, if they live you will be sorry you have them in the tank. don't kid yourself. if they are telling you to unnecessarily kill fish to start a cycle, they don't have as much experience as you might think. either that or they don't care and it's just a business to them. whichever it is, you should be careful about taking advice from them in the future.

just ordinary raw table shrimp. they will rot, in the same way the fish poop and uneaten food will rot from the damsels, and create ammonia, thus the start of the cycle.

nick, a 2 lamp fixture is all you need for a FOWLR. i like to have one daylight bulb and one actinic blue bulb. it just makes the fish and everything look better.

you may be able to use the rio return pump, but i have heard some horror stories about them malfunctioning and putting oil in the tank. i don't know if they still do this though. i like "quiet one" pumps.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
My LFS was recommending to set the tank up for a 1 day or 2 to get the salinity correct and the temp right then to put (2) damsels in the tank to start the cycling. They have a LOT of saltwater experience but it seems against the norm on the forum so I'm curious your thoughts on that.
My thoughts are dont listen to your LFS. As a matter of fact find another one. When you cycle do it the humane way. the article below will explain it. Your LFS just wants to make a sale. Read this

Cycle your salt tank

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeh I didn't think it was a good idea either. It's odd though, I think they feel the damsels are hardy enough to withstand the ammonia spike? They warranty their fish so I'm sure they aren't just trying to make the sale. They wouldn't send me home with a fish to kill that they'll have to replace.

Regardless I don't see it to be the right way.

I can't seem to find any dead rock around here ANYWHERE. I did find someone locally who has live rock they'll sell me for $2 a pound. Is this a good idea for starting the tank? Will it die while I transport it? Will most of it die off when I put it into my tank? They have "live sand" for .25 cents a pound as well but I'm not sure what exactly it is. I'm really trying to find aragonite.

Mr X, are you suggesting that I run the canister filters on the back of the tank or can I use one or both on my sump? I really don't want all that hanging off the back of the tank. That's partially the reason for going with the sump.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If they warranty their fish then you better stay with them because nobody does that except Liveaquaria and they are online vendors. BTW welcome to AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

damsels are about a dollar wholesale. it's not hurting them to give away a few damsels. they look at the big picture. they know you'll be back to purchase expensive livestock soon.

yes, hang one or both of the cannisters off of the side of the sump.
make sure you wash them out real good. maybe use some common household vinegar mixed with water and soak them in that. who knows what chemicals went through them before you got them.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

I can't seem to find any dead rock around here ANYWHERE. I did find someone locally who has live rock they'll sell me for $2 a pound. Is this a good idea for starting the tank? Will it die while I transport it? Will most of it die off when I put it into my tank? They have "live sand" for .25 cents a pound as well but I'm not sure what exactly it is. I'm really trying to find aragonite.
$2/lb is a good price for live rock. There might be a little die-off during transport but that will help with your cycle. The die-off will produce ammonia to start the cycle and bacteria growth. Live sand (if you're talking about the prepackaged bags) is not worth it and I would stick with dry aragonite. If it's live sand from someone's tank, it's the same thing as dry sand except it's been used and so should have a little bit of bacteria living in it already. I know MarcoRocks online sells base rock and sand with free shipping, but I don't have experience with them myself and the live rock you found is at a good price already. Welcome to AA!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i agree. 2 bucks a pound is good, unless it's covered with hair algae or aptasia. then you have a good amount of work ahead of you, killing it off.

take a look at where the rock is kept. is livestock in the tank? inverts? some people unknowingly whack the tank with copper meds and ruin the live rock. you don't want it in that case.

if it's cured rock, you should be able to transport it completely submerged in buckets and limit the die off.
otherwise, it's like atte says. it's good for the cycle. either way you win.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the help!

I got to go out last night and look at the live rock I'll be getting and got it's background. It was setup in a larger tank (like a 90g) and the person had to tear it down so the girl I'm getting it from took it all and put it into a container with a heater and a couple power heads. Apparently it did have algea on it when she received it so she has been working on getting rid of it all and curing it. I got to look over the pieces and they looked great. They have been working with it for a while apparently. I didn't see any live stock in the tank but I'm sure it's better than me starting with dry rock right? She's going to help me out get my tank going and I'll most likely be buying/trading for all the rock that she has been curing. She estimates around 100lbs or so. She's going to give me a few of the pieces out of her 72g that's been running for a year because they want to rearrange their tank anyhow. They also have a thicker sand bed so that's where I'll be getting some of the live sand from. They won't have enough to do my whole tank so I will have to pick up some dry aragonite somewhere.

I found a guy locally who has a nice 55g plastic drum. They appear to be new and he's advertising them for the use of collecting rain water. I thought this would make a great mixing tank or a great place to hold water or let tap water sit (with a flow and heater of course) I can get them for $20. What do you think? I think it'd be great for getting my water ready for the tank, get it heated up and mixed and then just transport it to the tank when ready and just keep the drum filled with water for water changes.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

it's not necessarily better than starting with dry rock. whichever is cheaper and depending on how much algae is on it, and what type.
you probably can't use that sand unless you rinse it out well. if it's only a few cups to seed your sand bed then it's fine, but a good amount and it will be full of gunk from the time it's been in her tank.

yes, a 55 gallon drum is exactly what i use and 20 bucks for it is very cheap. try to get a lid with it. i always keep mine full of unmixed water in case i need a water change in a hurry.

Tags
55 gallon, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com