Berlin sump versus all glass BIO BALL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking at purchaseing two different systems and it boils down to the sumps the first one is a berlin sump. exactly like this.
775-16126 Sealife Systems Berlin Reef Sump 125 No Pre Filter Detail Page

The other is an all glass bio ball filter like this.
All Glass Megaflow Sump Filters Model 3 (25 1/2X 13 3/4X17) Aquariums Up To 110 Gallon - Find lowest price on All Glass Megaflow Sump Filters Model 3 (25 1/2X 13 3/4X17) Aquariums Up To 110 Gallon at Shopping.com

Mod if you need to you can move this. This is a startup question for me, but maybe better off in harware discussion.

Berlin: Advantage is that you can fit a lot more live rock down there that can eventually host anaerobic bacteria which will break down some of your nitrates. It is also a host to many copepods and worms and the like that are beneficial to both your clean up crew and as a source of live food for you fish.

Wet/dry: The main advantage here is that because the bioballs are not fully submerged but have a steady stream of water over them this provided a very oxygen rich environment for the aerobic bacteria to convert ammonia and nitrite much fast. This is helpful in tanks that are heavily feed or have very messy eaters which require a large amount of nutrients to be proccesed quickly.

Disadvantage of both is that your going to have to clean those sponges/filter socks almost weekly. Large particles and left over food will build up on those in a hurry and if you don't clean them it continues to break down and can potentially degrade your water quality quickly.

I would say that your best option (as long as you done mind some simple DIY) would be to buy a glass tank and make your own sump. Go to melevsreef.com and he has a whole section on fuge/sump set ups. I would make a sump that has a section for a refugum which are very benificial. He has advantage/disadvange and plans and DIY instructions for all of it. Great site.

Back
Top Bottom