Best Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lately I've been interested in saltwater and reef tanks, and have been trying to expand my knowledge. I am still not to clear on everything that is required for a good, healthy tank enviroment. In your opinion, what is the best possible setup a begginer could have? I can't really see myself getting one very soon although I will be sure to see where I'm at a year or two from now and untill then.........

Well for a beginner I would go with a 55 gal tank. if thats out of your budget or size limits then the smallest I would go would be a 30 gal long tank.

When at all possible get a tank with the most suface area. Thus if given a choice between a long or high setup go with the long. This will give you more surface area for gas exchange.

Other minimums would be salt mix (obvsiously). A marine test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, alkinity at least. If you go with a more natural setup then live rock and live sand for filtration plus a protein skimmer. If your not bothered with that then a good sized canister filter or wet/dry filter and skimmer.

What is important is to know what your goals are to spec a setup to meet those goals. if your only going for a fish only setup then you need less than if your looking for a reef setup.

Thanks a lot, I really want a saltwater tank but, I am waiting to see if I am sereous enough about it because normally I end up wanting something completly different in a few weeks.

decide in general what it is you want, spec out the list of things you'll need, then go shoping with a pen and paper. write down the cost of everything you've written down you've needed. Add 15% for the "oh I forgot that" factor. Now, look at the total and tell yourself you probably wont have any fish in it for at least 1-2 months, probably longer if you're going for a Reef system. If you're interested in spending the cash and patient enough to wait that long and you still want it... then you want it enough. SW tanks take about 2 to 3 times the work of a FW tank IMO. (I've run FW tanks for 10+ years)

I'm not trying to scare you off, you just sounded unsure and it's best for you and the fish you'll buy if you're sure you really want this.

I should get a job being a caddy this summer at a country club. ($20 a bag, plus tips) so hopefully I'll eventually have some decent cash. I'm not exactly sure about everything that is required. I probably won't be starting a saltwater aquarium too soon either. I'm getting a 55 gallon for free from a neighbor, and have been thinking about the idea of having that be saltwater, and when I get that, I was thinking I would just have one killer tank I could put all of my effort into, rather than having 3. A reef would be awesome, but I am thinking since it would be my first saltwater setup maybie I should start off with fish only, then gradually add things on here and there and have a reef or somthing along those lines. I know I'd like a sump and have a hang on overflow rather than getting the tank drilled. For the sump I could use the 28 gallon tank I have now. I am thinking I outa get a protien skimmer if possible too. Minus the decor, I think I would also need a good heater (would I get a chiller or fan instead if the lighting gives off a lot of heat?) , lighting, and some pumpage.
Itd be a good idea to see someones aquarium and have them explain it all to me, or sit down and have a person to person talk with someone who knows what theyre doing (not that you guys dont or this board wont be helpful or anything.) I have read the articles on this site, and think I have an alright understanding of the absolute basics. Maybie this should be moved to the getting started section.....

Could somthing like this workout?, please tell me what you think and if it will work, this wouldnt be a whole system, but I am thinking these would be the main components.
Get the tidepool overflow skimmer (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3635)
Hook that up to the tidepool bio-wheel filtration (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3589)
the tidepool bio-wheel filtration sort of has a sump, in the sump I would put a heater if needed, and I would put a sea clear protien skimmer in the sump (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3589)
My only worry, is if the protein skimmer would fit, the protien skimmer measures 18" high, where the sump measures 16 1/2" high, although but the protien skimmer has a large portion at the top that is out of the water.
No rush or anything, but I am wondering if somthing like this would work out, it seems pretty good quality and easy.

Back
Top Bottom