bio cube oceanic 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dayner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
need help on my new reef tank i just got it and have no idea how to maintain it. everyone i talk to gives something different i just want a planner. i have reefs and one clown fish

need help on my new reef tank i just got it and have no idea how to maintain it. everyone i talk to gives something different i just want a planner. i have reefs and one clown fish

What exactly are you looking for?

Your going to wanna do weekly water changes. I do 5 gallons every week.

thats what im doing thanks now the next question is im adding calcium and magnesium twice a week for my corral i was told to add one cap full on both is dat fine. also im runnig my lights 10 hours a day at night is dat ok too

should i bee adding any dayli chemicals to my water? or just changing the water weekly is fine enough?

Ok... First, why are you adding chemicals? Is something low? Like calcium or alkalinity etc? I had my cube for a year before needing to dose 8mL's of B-ionic 2 part every night.

Also, I wouldn't add any "daily" chemicals at all. Your water changes should replenish enough. What salt mix are you using?

I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

Oh and your light schedule should be ok. Most run 9 hours a day.

Ok so i will stop the chemical the reason i was adding is because i was told the chemicals were to feed the corals

I havent chaged the water yet i just got it 4 days ago but im gonna buy a salt water that is made is expensive but they say is the best. I dont know the name yet... So how d i feed my coral how do they eat???

I havent chaged the water yet i just got it 4 days ago but im gonna buy a salt water that is made is expensive but they say is the best. I dont know the name yet... So how d i feed my coral how do they eat???

Your corals will feed from your light and whatever you feed your fish. Most don't feed corals unless you have really difficult corals that need to be target fed. I haven't fed a coral yet other then some phyto which I stopped a few months back.

is there any nutrient i can add to the water just to make sure im maintaining the water good? other than changing out the water once a week

i have very expensive corals i hate for them to die on me

I think as a general rule you shouldn't buy anything that you don't know how to care for. Especially expensive things. Is this your first salt water set up? How long has the tank been up an running? You have been given some excellent advice already, sounds like you may need to slow down a bit and do some more research.

i bought the tank in this condition i didnt buy the corals they were already there. this is my first salt water tank and ide hate to see them die.. theres over 600 in corals. but i bought it like that. the tank has been running for 1 year then the guy sold it to me to buy a bigger tank.

Sounds like a nice setup. Hope you got a good deal. But you've jumped into the deep end of the pool in the middle of a race. Time to learn to swim.
First thing you need to do is read some of the start up threads on this forum for saltwater tanks. Learn about basic water tests and then reef water tests. Find out what kind of filter setup, skimmer and lights you have. Then what kind of corals are in there. Most don't really need to be fed and can survive on lights alone. But supplemental feeding can help.
Oh, posting photos is a must! That's the payment for help 8)

thanks ill try to post some pics up

Fosho on the pics! I was reading thinking $600.00 in Corals? Wow, where's the pics? X2 on the testing kits, that's how you know what's going on in the tank. Best be on top of the parameters, you don't want something to go too far off. I'm really new to this and still check my water at least 5 times a week. I've got a 10 so I've got to be careful, swings can happen fast for me. Stick with it and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom