Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Biocube 29 startup help

So I started my new biocube 29 up last week. Put 31 lbs of cured live rock and 20 lbs of live and in it. I just have a question with cycling the tank. I was following the steps from a thread on here. I added about 55 drops of ammonia over the course of a half hour on Sunday. Tested it that night and it said I had like 1ppm. So I waited until the next morning. Tested it again and had ammonia of .25ppm now. And the nitrites are really high. The nitrates are still low to not even there yet. I just thought it would take long for the nitrites to appear and the ammonia to drop. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Thanks

Old 03-10-2015, 01:40 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sounds like things are going well. Add some more ammonia. You want the ammonia and nitrite to vanish in 24 hours. The fact that the rock was cured means that there was beneficial bacteria in the rocks already.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Sounds like things are going well. Add some more ammonia. You want the ammonia and nitrite to vanish in 24 hours. The fact that the rock was cured means that there was beneficial bacteria in the rocks already.
Ok so I added like 85 drops last night and woke up this morning. Ammonia was at about 1 ppm and the nitrates were 5+ppm. Nitrates are now visible at like 20-40ppm. Should I do a water change?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If there is nothing living in the tank, don't worry about a water change until the cycle is done. No need to waste money on the salt and water at the moment.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
If there is nothing living in the tank, don't worry about a water change until the cycle is done. No need to waste money on the salt and water at the moment.
Ok so just wait for the ammonia and nitrites to hit zero. Got it. Also, should I stop adding ammonia drops now?

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, star, start, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com