Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bought my first SW... Easy Question

Freshy here...that was until....
Today I bought a 55 gal existing SW tank locally today. The tank needs a real good cleaning. Any ideas what percentage of his water should I keep during the move to not kill off the bacteria? Also should I go to my LFS and get some more live sand and some prepackaged saltwater to refill the tank?
Also, anytips for the move?

Thanks to all of you. All the rearch I have done on this site should jump me into this setup no problem

Old 09-24-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would test the water (or take it to the LFS and see if they will test it). Depending on what the results are, make a decision on the water change. I would not do more than 20 percent at a time. You would be better off doing a small percentage each day, if you need to, to get the water parameters in check. That will keep your fish from stressing from a sudden, noticeable water quality change.

For the move, keep as much water as you can. Put it in buckets, rubbermaid tubs, etc. Put the fish in a bucket or tub and try to get an air bubbler for it. Same thing for any rock you have. Hopefully it is a short move.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

The move is less than 15 minutes by car...Im leaving soon to get it after a rubbermaid pickup at the store. Ill test the water before i start breaking down.
Thanks

Tags
first sw

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com