Bristle Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I bought some live rock recently, and just today I noticed that there were two bristle worms running around in my tank. One is about an inch long and is pretty thick, and the other is about 2/3 of an inch long and is really thin. I've read some stuff about them but I've gotten mixed opinions. Some say they're nice and are good scavengers. Others say they are pests and can grow up to 12 inches long and eat your fish and anemone. What's your opinion of them?

Unfortunately, my tank has had a recent brown algae burst, so the ground is covered in algae. Will they eat that?

Also, I found some sort of small creature that looks what seems to be an amphipod. I'm not sure and it was too small and fast to be captured on camera. But, it was white, had a small sleek tail and antennae (I think).

Attachments

• dscn0753.jpg
    dscn0753.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 81
  • dscn0751.jpg
    dscn0751.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 89
Yes that`s definitely a bristle worm. I have several in mine but I leave them alone. They are good janitors and help tp eat fish waste. Great shots by the way.

in my opinion, those worms get worked over pretty good by any wrasse type fish you stock in your tank. Of course, then there are the horror stories with some guys who have had to call in Steve Irwin to wrangle an anaconda sized worm like 4 feet long out of their tanks after losing whole coral colonies. I say that is so rare I'm shocked it has even happened.

I have a bicolor pseudochromis that wiped out my bristle worm population in short order.

I think they are beneficial when they are small but when they grow big they may start to eat things you don't want them too

here is a picture of the one i removed from my tank

img_998307_0_13516646c5fda5250d7004a1d82fc7ea.jpg

Nice catch, all the more reason to wear gloves when you stick your hand into your tank.

Back
Top Bottom