Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scottayy said:
btw, thread title is very misleading now lol
happens to me all the time too :)

Yeah. I thought about making a new thread but didn't wanna lose the people that follow this! I like all the input

I have one of the panels mr x posted above. They generate alot of light and you can hang them in your canopy. :)

I checked the PAR numbers on a similar model and it was close to my T5 fixtures. This model had 30 whites and 25 blues if I remember correctly (the opposite configuration of the one above) so, i'll let everyone know how they measure up.

HPballer76 said:
i also have that led fixture. 2 of them are mounted in my canopy. check my thread for pics.

Hey! I checked out your thread with the pics! Those look awesome! What did you get a lows to hang them? I think I'm gonna get 2 of those as soon as my income tax money comes in!

mr_X said:
Yep. 2 is perfect for your 75. you'll be able to keep whatever you want.

Yay!! Can I ask you what brand they are just in case the eBay link runs out before I get my money in the mail. I couldn't tell by looking at the page

Nvm! I found the brand, just had to search a little more!

Hey guys! I'm making a new thread that's about the build! Please follow! I've really enjoyed the opinions from everyone!

Also one last questions!

The LED unit, what about changing the bulbs? Is that something that's necessary to do once a year like the t5s or is it something you only have to do as the bulbs go out? Also do I need a fan under the hood to help heat? Or are the LEDs ok without it. I know they are better on heat than the t5s but how much better? Lol

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Hey guys! I'm making a new thread that's about the build! Please follow! I've really enjoyed the opinions from everyone!

Also one last questions!

The LED unit, what about changing the bulbs? Is that something that's necessary to do once a year like the t5s or is it something you only have to do as the bulbs go out? Also do I need a fan under the hood to help heat? Or are the LEDs ok without it. I know they are better on heat than the t5s but how much better? Lol

You can Pm a mod and they can change the threads name for you. :) You need to buy a whole new fixture every 5-6 yrs. Its significantly better but you should still drill a hole on both sides of the tank and add a couple fans there.

KAhner said:
It's probably more like ten plus years. I think most LEDs are good for about 50,000 hours.

They start to dim after about 7 yrs so it's best to get a new fixture.

As you can see from the pictures, the fans are on top of the LED units so you'll want to keep the top of the unit exposed. I ran a similar unit recently and found very little heat coming out of the vents. Barely any.
And since you won't have to change out lamps, This unit will pay for itself in about a years time. About 100 watts less energy used and 6 t-5 lamps will cost you about 120 bucks to replace, yearly.

mr_X said:
As you can see from the pictures, the fans are on top of the LED units so you'll want to keep the top of the unit exposed. I ran a similar unit recently and found very little heat coming out of the vents. Barely any.
And since you won't have to change out lamps, This unit will pay for itself in about a years time. About 100 watts less energy used and 6 t-5 lamps will cost you about 120 bucks to replace, yearly.

I love the LED honestly and I have no problem changing the whole fixture in 5-7 years to make sure the lights have a correct brightness! My canopy is open at the top like there is slits between the wood allowing air to flow through! I'll take a picture when I get home and show how it looks. I think it will be ok! :D I'm excited! I really like those!

Ibrahim said:
You can Pm a mod and they can change the threads name for you. :) You need to buy a whole new fixture every 5-6 yrs. Its significantly better but you should still drill a hole on both sides of the tank and add a couple fans there.

Thanks for the info! I got the name changed!

Back
Top Bottom