Caitlynn's 75 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
EriksFish315 said:
You deff want separate control of blues and whites makes things a lot nicer if possible one with a timer that you can set both set of lights with.

I wanted the timer built in for ease but mr x brought up a good point that if it does have a timer and it goes bad im pretty much SOL unless I can fix the bad timer so now I'm a bit skeptical about built in timers.

Has anyone else experienced that happening?

EriksFish315 said:
Yeah well put mr. X. I have found it nice to be able just to use the blues at times or at least have the option too.

I think even though it's not necessary for the fish and corals that I would enjoy being able to adjust them just purely for aesthetics.

I have the Aquatic Life fixture for my 75. I'm pretty sure they sell the timer part through their website. One of the reasons I liked it was for the fact it had only one cord plus the fact i got it $200 off for missing a bulb and slipcover. It has three banks of lights: 2 T5s (blue), 4 T5s (white), and LEDs (night). I don't think it would work under a canopy though as it uses fans to cool the t5s and a canopy would interfere with circulation. You can hang it though.

If you used a hole saw and opened up the side of your canopy, and put a grate over it so it looked nice..some kind of vent from home depot or lowes, you could use the nova pro or AL fixture.

mr_X said:
If you used a hole saw and opened up the side of your canopy, and put a grate over it so it looked nice..some kind of vent from home depot or lowes, you could use the nova pro or AL fixture.

Yeah that's sorta what I have in my canopy. I can get a pic soon

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Alright :) I'll wait for a pic.

Here you go the little pegs at the side keep the canopy from falling off and are like a shelve for me to put the fixture on. It's a Nova extreme 4 bulb t5

Ibrahim said:
Here you go the little pegs at the side keep the canopy from falling off and are like a shelve for me to put the fixture on. It's a Nova extreme 4 bulb t5

That's not bad! I'm going to have to see what I want! I like the idea of the lights attached to the canopy top but I also want a better lighting system. One with credibility :/

You don't HAVE to have expensive and credible lights :D
Check out this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/cheap-led-solution-186459.html

It looks pretty cool and practical. I don't know much about it like mr_x would, such as par readings and such lol.

On my 55 I have a canopy and t5ho lights. I have holes drilled in the back of the canopy (towards the wall, can't see them) and a little office fan mounted in there connected to the timer so it comes on when the lights do. Does really well.

Back
Top Bottom