Can i add more LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeSweeney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys, My tank has been running for a about 4 weeks, ammonia has been present for about 2 weeks, i was thinking about adding more LR, is this a good or bad idea at this stage?

This is a great time to add the Live Rock. Once the tank is established, adding live rock that isn't fully cured can cause die off that can spike ammonia and stress the animals. Adding live rock in the beginning is a good idea.

I have got live rock in there already my only worry is that i have a cuc of 3 hermits and 2 snails. I now know i would be better without them but i was advised to put them in by my lfs and since found it is a bad idea.

To reword my original post: I know if i add more cured live rock i am likely to increase the levels of ammonia but with the bacteria that survives on the rock will it counteract the ammonia created.

Ultimately in the situation i am in will it be a benefit or make the situation worse?

would i be better allowing the cycle to complete and hope my cuc make it through

I suggest u add now so later u won't have to disrupt anything in ur tank I'd add now and fully aquascape

I understand what you're saying. Without fish in the tank, the only real ammonia being produced in from organic die off (breakdown) from live rock. After 4 weeks, I would think that you have some established beneificial bacteria in their depending on the amount of life that was on the live rock orginally added. Adding more live rock, in my mind, would only enhance the ability of the existing beneficial bacteria by providing more "food" (ammonia/waste). Depending on the amount of rock, I don't think you will be doing any harm or putting the current inverts in harms way by adding more.......now I'm not talking rock that has nasty junk all over it and has been sitting on someone's back porch for the summer.

Back
Top Bottom