Can't get water temp to drop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may be trivial but it's got me puzzled...
I've been trying to get everything stable during my cycle so it's all ready when it's time to add livestock. I've got everything running, ph, canister filter, remora skimmer, and the (300 w) heater. The water temp stays between 80 and 80.5 (roughly). I had been slowly adjusting the heater down but it had no affect so I just unplugged it yesterday. I've also moved the thermometer <sp?> thinking a ph was possibly causing a warm spot. Still no change. I keep the house at 71 upstairs and the tank is in the basement which is probably at least 5 degree's cooler. Also no sunlight hits the tank.
I have the Mag 3 drive on the skimmer and the ph's are maxijet 1200's, the canister filter is a Rena Filstar XP3 (which I plan to remove once I have enough lr). What is keeping my water temp that high and should I try to get it to drop to 78-79?

Well mine is up at 82-84 and I have air conditioning! Mine just stays like that because it is still summer weather but on cooler days thte temp goes doen and the heater has to turn itself on to get it right.

The pumps and filters will add the heat your describing, it sounds like your in need of a chiller, 80 degrees is not a problem but as the temp outside rises so will the tank temp.

LOL! I just looked up the price of those. That won't be happening anytime soon.

Blucat,
First day of spring here a couple days ago - I'm tired of shoveling snow for this season!

You didn't list what type of lighting you have which can also affect your temp. If you are using a glass canopy replacing it with eggcrate can help you lower it a degree or two.

I realized that after I posted - Nothing special, just NO lighting, however I do have a glass canopy. I'll keep that in mind if the temp rises this summer, thanks.

Chiller

I usually keep my tank around 80. but if you want a diy chiller I took a dorm refigirator and drilled two wholes through it and ran line through and adjusted the ref. temp to adjust the tank. I know this might be oldschool but you can find the dorm ref. in yard sales and new ones are around $70. so you still would be cheaper than buying chiller.

I hope this helps

You don't need a chiller. you need a small fan blowing across the top of the tank, and nothing more.
however, 80.5 degrees is fine.

Nothing special, just NO lighting, however I do have a glass canopy
Actually you solution may be right here. Can you remove the glass (or part of it) and replace it will eggcrate? That may help right off the bat and had other benefits.
You will have to do more RO top offs with the added evaporation though.

Yep, it seems like your glass top is adding to you temp issue by not letting your tank cool down by evaporation.

The glass covers the entire top except for about 3 - 4 inches in the back which I have covered with those plastic "slip-on" strips that attach to the glass. I just cut the openings I needed for my skimmer, canister, etc but did not leave any room for anything to jump out.
I'll show my ignorance here and just say I'm not positive what you all mean by "eggcrate". Is it something I would purchase at the lfs or at HD?
I also have a wooden canopy that matches my stand so I don't really care what it looks like under there.

Sorry, it is a perforated plastic covering for office lights and such. HD has it in their lighting section. You just cut a piece to the size of the opening. Air gets out, but not the jumpers. :wink:
I also have a wooden canopy that matches my stand so I don't really care what it looks like under there.
This may be your solution then. :)

Back
Top Bottom