Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2004, 01:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK I got the one question but still not sure how long it has been running. I assume a short while since it was a QT tank. What kind of filtration are you running on the main tank... if it is a biological of some kind you can add it temporarily to the QT to get the bacteria introduced. If you have any type of sponge media you can add it to the filtration method of the QT or somewhere with high water flow like a powerhead or sump.

Old 10-30-2004, 05:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm using Hypo to cure. The salinity from my main tank would not match. I guess I could delute it. Not sure if that would have the same effect. Using Bio filtration on the main tank. I actually have a bio filter on the QT....not sure if the low salinity is killing it.

Old 10-30-2004, 06:55 PM   #13
steve-s

In the beginning, lowered salinity may slow the growth of bacteria but they will quickly adapt. Hyposalinity does not kill off the biofilter.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 10:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's good to here....thanks. Is it ok to take out and lower the salinity of the main tanks water to do a water change?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's good to here....thanks. Is it ok to take out and lower the salinity of the main tanks water to do a water change?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop
Is it ok to take out and lower the salinity of the main tanks water to do a water change?
No, using the water from the main is acceptable for the initial fill of the QT but nothing else for two main reasons.

The main tank could possibley still contain the virus/parasite you are treating for thereby transfering the problem with it. The other is the main will have a certain degree of DOC which will hamper water quality in the QT adding to your problems.

It's best to do your water changes with well aged (24hrs) and aerated freshly mixed SW. It avoids alot of issues and at the same time helps buffer water that is otherwise supressed by the hyposalinity process. When performing hyposalinity it is quite important to monitor the alk/pH as it has a tendancey to drop.

Be absolutely sure you are not combining hypo with a copper treatment, one or the other not both. Combined as one treatment would be too stressful on the fish and cause death.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ammonia, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com