Carbon dust!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Latitude_change

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On some advice I received I placed activated carbon in a filter bag and attached the bag to the drain tube entering my sump. This was supposed to trap anything large as well as filtering the water before it entered my skimmer. Now my whole sump is covered in carbon dust. It has also entered my tank and one side including LR is covered. How dangerous is this and what do I do?I did run water trough the filter bag initially until it ran clear. It seems that the water movement from the drainpipe is causing the AC to rub each other causeing the dust. Upon finding this, I immediately removed the AC, but the damage has been done.The tank currently has no fish, only snails. It is a 58g with 70 lbs of LR.Thanks

It will clear up in a few days. At least you learned to rinse out you GAC bags. You`ll be OK.

When rinsing the bag you need to really hit it from all sides and move it around to get all the dust out. I just put mine in my sump in an area of high flow.

Back
Top Bottom