Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #361
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Id find a way to fit them...filter socks not only add another form of filtration but also catch any fine particles and prevents them from making it into your skimmed or return pump.. you don't want the overflows emptying into the sump with no filter

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #362
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, thats my thought. As of now the pipes just come down into the first chamber and have the little holes drilled through them adn the skimmer is in that section. then it overlfows into the biball section which has the tray on top for pads. I guess they figure thats the mechanical filtration?

I put a call into sealife systems and am waiting for a call back. I was gonna grill the guy on the sump and see what options they might have for adding the filter socks. I'd rather get the particulate matter out BEFORE the bioball section. Also wanna know how their skimmer works, it looks cheesy lol.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #363
Aquarium Advice Addict

A somewhat related question if I may. If you run a refugium and you put filter socks in the overflow piping won't that trap pods? Seems to me any pods that hit the overflow would then be stuck in the filter socks.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #364
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had that concern as well, but when i remove my filter socks for cleaning I have only seen a couple of the big nasty ones in there. I;m using a mesh sock right now, which has huge holes instead of the felt ones so I'm sure the pods are getting through that one. BUT the mesh sock kinda stinks, it has such large holes I feel not enough is getting captured.

Jury is still out on this. I only bought one mesh sock to try as I was changing the felt ones out every 3 days or so because of them getting clogged.

I still ahve a massive pod population int he main tank and a bunch in the refugium, but mostly the big ones. the little baby pods are hiding I guess. lol
Old 09-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #365
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

id think you should be ok with the felt... the refugium is where the pods breed and reproduce, then hit the return pump and shoot into the tank... i honestly dont think that itll negatively affect the pod population
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #366
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question on pods. I have just started to cycle my tank. When can I add the pods to it?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #367
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

After your cycle. Do you have a refugium?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #368
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea. Have the dirt. A little live sand and a couple small live rocks in there. Right now that's all I have in there. Was going to throw a shrimp in to night to help with the cycling. Should I use a shrimp or will a scalop work? Have a couple my Toby just doesn't like so figured I could just through them in.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #369
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can use anything fleshy that will rot so a scallop should be fine. You should add some macro algae into the refugium when you get a chance. Once your tank is cycled and everything straight them I would add the pods to the refugium
Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #370
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea was going to let it alone for a couple weeks then start checking everything and seeing how it is looking then start adding everything to it.

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com