Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
look all there. mr_x has more experience than me, so i would listen to his advise to glue the elbow for the return. looks straight forward. you can do this easy.

Thanks for the hand holding guys, it's making more sense to me just going back and forth with you guys. Unfortunately I can't do a dry setup yet as I have no stand. Gonna get on that this week. A 75g tank stand will work won't it? Or is it not made for the extra weight? The 4' X 18" dimensions are the same as the 75, just the 90g is taller I think.

Theres a guy my lfs recommends who makes custom stands, I might look into that if I don't find something on CL.

Actually, I've been looking at stands and realized the holes in the bottom of the tank are rather far back, towards the base of the tank. Are there stands that are made for tanks with bottom drill outs?

Also, since the holes are gonna be so close to the sump I won't need the flex hoses will I? I was thinking on doing it with pvc, probably a step above what I am comfortable with but it seems it would work out better.

Woudl I use pvc cement in that application or just use threaded parts?

yes. there are reef ready stands, and yours can be too, as soon as you cut a hole in it!
i wouldn't use pvc for the drain unless you put a union on it. i find it's convenient to use the flexible pool hose for the drain so i can move it if need be. you may want to get down there and do some maintenance on the skimmer.

Cutting holes in the stand is ok? It doesn't compromise the integrity of it?

I will be back with the plumbing questions closer to set up time, I'm getting confused again. lol

carey said:
Cutting holes in the stand is ok? It doesn't compromise the integrity of it?

I will be back with the plumbing questions closer to set up time, I'm getting confused again. lol

Just be sure you don't drill or cut through any main supports. There souls be a "frame" going around the four sides of the stand. If it is a wooden stand it will most likely be covered we a more decorative wood which gives little support and can be drilled.

okie dokie. Gotcha. I just worry about stuff sometimes, ya know? Like a 1000 lbs of water and rock crashing on my floor. lol

okie dokie. Gotcha. I just worry about stuff sometimes, ya know? Like a 1000 lbs of water and rock crashing on my floor. lol

That is something worth worrying about. LOL If it looks like it is a main support, don't cut it. Take a picture of it and post it and we can help you decide. Chance to me to pay you back a bit for all the help you have given me over the past 2 months.

That is something worth worrying about. LOL If it looks like it is a main support, don't cut it. Take a picture of it and post it and we can help you decide. Chance to me to pay you back a bit for all the help you have given me over the past 2 months.

+1 pics on your work that your not comfortable with, it may be slower taking pics for a step by step, but if your uncertain its a lot of eyes one watching out for you!

and it will help out for everyone else that my have the same questions and concerns.

I'm planning it out in my head still, getting some understanding of it all. Once I get it on a stand I think it will come together for me.

And you should know by now I post pictures of EVERYTHING! LOL

So while I wait for my stand and the other setup stuff I figured I'd start thinking about stocking the tank. :)

It can be a full covered tank so I was thinking of getting a wrasse. I also would love to have some pygmy angels since I can't now. Can you mix angels? I was liking the lemonpeel and the coral beauty. BUT I am also getting fascinated by eels. I'd like to have a more aggressive tank that anything I have now and fish I can't have now. I also was thinking a butterfly fish of some kind, even though I know they are difficult to feed.

Any suggestions? Or comments on what I have in mind?

I don't want puffers or any other venomous types, like foxfaces. Just different and cool colorful fish.

Have at it guys, I know you all will come up with a ton of suggestions!

Heading back to liveaquaria to research some more. :)

For the bulkheads I lube the seals with a little petroleum jelly works like a charm. Just one thing with bulkheads dont stress them lateraly.

A suggestion for the wrasse would be a Harlequin Tuskfish. Those guys are really cool :D

I was looking at the tusks and they are also on the list. A little pricey but very cool. I wanted a grouper but 90g isnt nearly enough space for one. :-(

I have a lemonpeel! It is a very nice fish. You may be able to get away with two angels only if you added them at the same time.

Well thats good news. I think i willgo with two angels. :) Now to decide on the other inhabitants.

Would a butterfly be really that hard to keep? I only know from what I hear here and research and it seems they dont' immediately eat. I've been down that road before with my scooter and my mandarin.

Back
Top Bottom