Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #1691

Not blasting anyone, you need a bigger tank if you intend to keep a mandarin that accepts nothing else but pods. Even with a fuge I would say 75 gallons with 1.5-2lbs. of live rock per gallon. I will say your tangs are stressed in a 55, especially the sailfin. I'm sure the tang police have already told you that though. I'm just saying proactive beats reactive 100% of the time. Failure to plan is planning to fail, always remember that.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #1692
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL you had me for a second. I think he went away for now. Hopefully I have good luck with her. She's as happy as can be so far, I'll feed again tonight and make sure she's eating. I picked this mandarin cause it's a bit on the fat side hehe And also when the guy feed mysis in the store she was pecking at it unlike the male who was 3 times her size but looked a little thin. I wish I could get a good shot of her but she's too flitty about the rocks to stand still.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #1693

Her mandarin maybe fine, I just worry that added stress may assist it in reverting back to pods. Her 125 with a fuge could support him once it is a little more established, but if he stops eating prepared food it would cost a fortune to keep him alive on bottled pods in a biocube.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #1694
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
LOL you had me for a second. I think he went away for now. Hopefully I have good luck with her. She's as happy as can be so far, I'll feed again tonight and make sure she's eating. I picked this mandarin cause it's a bit on the fat side hehe And also when the guy feed mysis in the store she was pecking at it unlike the male who was 3 times her size but looked a little thin. I wish I could get a good shot of her but she's too flitty about the rocks to stand still.
I will wait patiently...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #1695
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also have a fuge on the cube. Has been setup for a month or two with cheato and I even added pods to help further establish a good population which already existed as the rock came from an established system.

I've done my best with planning and thats all I can humanly do.

Some people take their mandarins very seriosuly as I do with tangs, so maybe that is the reason for all this bickering. Which needs to stop. I'm asking nicely. Please.

Thanks everyone, Ill get pics of my baby when she sits still enough for awhile lol
Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #1696

Why is advice being taken as bickering, you are taking things way out of context. I was stating your 125 should prove to be a fail safe in the event your fish stops eating prepared. I was actually saying you have a good backup plan.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #1697
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to nohika
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAvenger
Why is advice being taken as bickering, you are taking things way out of context. I was stating your 125 should prove to be a fail safe in the event your fish stops eating prepared. I was actually saying you have a good backup plan.
If you had paid much attention, she's already stated she'll move the Mandarin over to her 125 if she needs to. Pretty much everything you have said she has thought of. Now please go away and stop being rude to her. It's annoying. She's a big girl. Have a good day.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #1698

Sorry that stating facts is rude, I thought big boys and girls understood that. Moving it over wouldn't fix the problem anyway at the moment, that tank would need a few months to build up enough of a pod population. So no, not everything is done. If the mandarin continues to eat prepared atleast 3-4 more months she should be in the clear.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #1699
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I went ahead and did it!!!! I now have an ORA Blue Mandarin! She's acclimating right now so I'll be posting pictures soon!

SOOOO excited! She's a tiny little thing, she was part of a pair but I couldnt take both so I choose the female that was eating mysis.

I know I'm skipping all the drama in between this post, but I thought they were holding one for you? Why did they make you separate a pair? Just wondering, seems like they were holding it but then it ended up being two? Maybe they weren't "holding" these for as long as you think?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #1700
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Have they been ORA ones or wild? Did they just not eat? This guy has got me all paranoid now.. lol

ORA's have been reported to revert. Like with my baby girl (NOT ORA) she would hunt all day long for pods once she had them in my tank, but if a frozen shrimp passed by the rock in the right way (VERY DIFFICULT TO DO) she would eat them. I'm convinced though now Carey that she was eating the live mysid that I have in my tank because this am there were thousands of them (not kidding) swimming around the rock and glass, I was in disbelief, and kept watching them swimming.

You will be fine, if she eats the pods in the biocube you could get a piece of rock from the big tank and keep moving some rock back and forth to move pods. Let it get some algae on the glass too, the pods burst out when that happens. I know it doesn't look pretty, but they seem to explode when there is some algae. Also, pick up some live mysis and throw some in each tank. I never added them so I don't know how they got in there, I think they came from my cube.

Tags
bio, bio cube, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com