Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only have a 2 inch sandbed at most and I only had the cube up a few months before I added mandy, BUT my live rock came from my 55g which was already infested with pods so it had a head start. I also have a small fuge in the back compartment of my cube and I added a bag of pods there as well.

How many fish do u think I could get away with in the 29 cube...I'm not thinking any bigger than clown fish.

I read that clown fish like to be in pairs...can u pair up a orange/white with a black/white?

What other fish r good for the 29 cube?

I would go with 4 maybe 5 fish depending on the fish. i feel overstocked with my 6 fish but most of them arent swimmers and some are very secretive lol

An orange osceallaris should be fine with a b&w oscellaris.

My 2 year old loves watching his beta fish in his bowl so I figured I'd give him something bigger and more fun for him (and more fun for me). I'm leaning toward a small tank like the bio cube because I'm new to this and don't have much room for a big tank.

carey said:
Hi. Welcome to the forum!

The cube is just that, in a cube shape so the swim room is affected. I've had both a regular 29 and this cube and it's a world of difference if you have the two in front of you. :)

Do you think that the swim room is affected positively or negatively?

I think it depends on the fish really. I have 6 fish only because of their unique characteristics. The scooter and the mandarin spend most of their time hunting on the sandbed and in the rocks, the citron goby while a bit large only hangs out under the rocks really and comes out for food. The same for the yellow watchman, he stays in his burrow most of the time. That leaves the clowns which use very available inch of the tank for swimming and exploring.

I've had a straight 29g and to be honest I feel I could fit more in that tank than this one and it allowed more open swim room as it was 30" long.

BUT I would still recommend a biocube though. It is pretty simple to run and it also has a lid so you can get jumping fish as well, like firefish that I couldnt keep in the regular tank. It's also a plus that the lighting is included for the cube which allows you to keep a nice assortment of corals without breaking the bank on fixtures. A decent light that can keep comparable corals is gonna run you over $100 for sure plus all the other things you need to set up the tank that are included with with the cube.

My 2 year old loves watching his beta fish in his bowl so I figured I'd give him something bigger and more fun for him (and more fun for me). I'm leaning toward a small tank like the bio cube because I'm new to this and don't have much room for a big tank.

if you are wanting to keep a pair of clownfish i would suggest going with the 29g cube. More room for the fish and for anything else you may want to add. The 14g is a nice tank but in my opinion too small for a pair of clowns and other fish. :)

if you have any questions please just ask away. I really like my cube and can't say enough good things about it. lol

carey said:
I think it depends on the fish really. I have 6 fish only because of their unique characteristics. The scooter and the mandarin spend most of their time hunting on the sandbed and in the rocks, the citron goby while a bit large only hangs out under the rocks really and comes out for food. The same for the yellow watchman, he stays in his burrow most of the time. That leaves the clowns which use very available inch of the tank for swimming and exploring.

I've had a straight 29g and to be honest I feel I could fit more in that tank than this one and it allowed more open swim room as it was 30" long.

BUT I would still recommend a biocube though. It is pretty simple to run and it also has a lid so you can get jumping fish as well, like firefish that I couldnt keep in the regular tank. It's also a plus that the lighting is included for the cube which allows you to keep a nice assortment of corals without breaking the bank on fixtures. A decent light that can keep comparable corals is gonna run you over $100 for sure plus all the other things you need to set up the tank that are included with with the cube.

Awsome! I won't have any fish that need ALOT of swim room like an angel. Just a clown
A cardinal
A gramma
A jaw fish
And a goby
:D

I think you will be fine with that stock list. the gramma likes the rocks and the jawfish will be a bottom dweller as well as the goby possibly. usually 5 fish in my opinion anyways, is the top fish count for a 29g cube. And you've picked your fish wisely. :-D

I couldnt find any local stores selling salt water fish so I stopped by a pet goods. I was not impressed with there service or quality of fish. Does anyone know of another option? I'm in lower westchester ny.

I actually wanted to look at the bio cube but couldn't find one...is That an Internet only product?

You can usually find it at a petco or petsmart. It's a bit more money plus you pay tax if you buy it locally. :)

carey said:
I think you will be fine with that stock list. the gramma likes the rocks and the jawfish will be a bottom dweller as well as the goby possibly. usually 5 fish in my opinion anyways, is the top fish count for a 29g cube. And you've picked your fish wisely. :-D

Much as gracias:D

Sad news, I think my brand new firefish didn't make it. :-( I can't find him anywhere in the tank or behind in the compartments. I don't believe I killed a fish so soon after getting him. **cry**

I went to bed around 2 am last night and he was fine. Woke up at 8 and I couldnt find him. I'm still hoping he's in there but I fed the tank and nothing.

Even crappier news, I think I lost a blue reef chromi on the 125g. :-( I can only find 4 of the 5. I'm having a heck of a day so far. Hopefully nothing else turns up missing.

Good luck! Did you feel the earthquake over there in Florida last night? I was feeding my fish and the water started shaking and then I went to bed and my bed started rocking back and fourth. I started freaking out! Turns out it was. 5.3 in Oklahoma.

Awww, I'm sorry. You can keep Chromis a lot longer than I can though. I lost all three of my Blue Green a few years back within a few days. :(

I think the other chromis may have did him in. They have been chasing each other all over the place. if he is gone, I'll never find him in that tank. One of the stinky things about a large tank with too much rock.

I think I may take out the rock in the cube and see if i can't find the firefish, alive or not so alive. I've already checked around the tank and in the back so he has to be physically be in the tank. I don't believe I just got him yesterday. Kinda glad he was only $6. On the other hand the chromis were $18 each so I'm not happy about loosing that. :-( I'm super cheap when it comes to buying fish usually.

Back
Top Bottom