Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was the plan. i figured i'd grow em for like 3 months get a good population and then get an ora mandarin thats eating prepared foods. My lfs has one. I'm only concerned that the madnarin will stop eating the foods and revert back and need pods for all his meals. I could never grow enough, they literally eat thousands a day

hehe that makes two of us. The mandarin would be added like later this year if at all so it's not an immediate concern.

I'm, also considering putting it into my 55g at the end of the year. i have 80lbs of rock, a HUGE pod population and my tank will be a year old and I think established enough for one.

carey said:
hehe that makes two of us. The mandarin would be added like later this year if at all so it's not an immediate concern.

I'm, also considering putting it into my 55g at the end of the year. i have 80lbs of rock, a HUGE pod population and my tank will be a year old and I think established enough for one.

I'd say the 55 would be better.

Also keep in mind that I plan on getting a 125g by years end too. That would muck up putting him in the 55g.

I say put a mandarin in your 55g. If you wait until you can get a 125, you'll have to wait even longer for it to mature enough for a mandarin. I think an ORA one will be a safe choice.

Love that little fish too!

I love getting votes for the mandarin, alot of people automatically just say no it can't be done. lol

I totally understand the needs and requirements and I think I may be up to the task, but thats a big maybe. And it's totally not unheard of for a prepared foods eating ora one to suddenly refuse those foods and starve.

When I go to the 125g the 55g will be going bye bye, not enough room for them both. So putting him in the 55g means I gotta keep him in there or hope the cube can support him or returning him after I upgrade.

Plan the cube as if you'd be putting him in there and you will have no issues

I've gotten alot of mixed feedback as far as the mandarin. Even with me setting up pod tank. I have to take the naysayers into account cause they know more than I do, but then again they don't know how hard i'd work to make it work. So it's a double edged sword. lol

Hey Carey, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this and i don't have time to catch up on the thread (studying) but why don't you use that extra 10 gallon for a training tank for the mandarin, set it up with a bit of sand or even just a few pieces of live rocks. Get the mandarin and with it being the only one in the tank it will be a lot easier to train it on frozen foods (if it's not already). You could buy some live food for a backup or even put the mandarin in the 55 gallon if it's not eating.

kms907 said:
Hey Carey, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this and i don't have time to catch up on the thread (studying) but why don't you use that extra 10 gallon for a training tank for the mandarin, set it up with a bit of sand or even just a few pieces of live rocks. Get the mandarin and with it being the only one in the tank it will be a lot easier to train it on frozen foods (if it's not already). You could buy some live food for a backup or even put the mandarin in the 55 gallon if it's not eating.

Thats an excellent idea!!!

But what do you mean you dont have time to catch up there's only 700 some posts in this thread

Thats an excellent idea!!!

But what do you mean you dont have time to catch up there's only 700 some posts in this thread

haha yah i know! Every time i take a break to come check there is like 5 new pages. Better get back to studying now, just thought of that idea and had to share haha (you can tell where my mind really is)

If I were to get a mandarin it would be an ora already on prepared foods. My concern is what if he changes his mind and doesn't want prepared food anymore? Even a 20g pod tank wouldn't keep it fed for that long.

If I were to get a mandarin it would be an ora already on prepared foods. My concern is what if he changes his mind and doesn't want prepared food anymore? Even a 20g pod tank wouldn't keep it fed for that long.

okay one more post! haha I've read that when they change their minds it's always after bringing them home from the store (maybe all the shipping stresses?). If you had the spare tank set up for it you could ensure its eating well and is good and fat before moving it to the nano (retrain it if necessary). If it's not, move it to the 55 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom