Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What do you do about the hood if you get aftermarket lights? Just run it open top? Hows it look?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd have it be a totally open top if it wasn't for the zebra bar goby. I'll put eggcrates on the top for that reason, like I have for my other tanks.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm researching my brains out trying to find an appropriate heater thats 8" long or less. Tetra makes one, its submersible but has no auto shutoff if out of water.

Do you think i can get away with a 50w heater in a 29g cube? I live in Florida so it's only working when we have the air really blasting and then it's only like 4 degrees. I'm not trying to save money just find one that will fit in the compartment.

What do the great minds of this forum think?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:06 AM   #74
is back to save the day!

A little late to this thread, but I am following for sure.

Not sure about the 50w heater though, those are usually rated for smaller tanks like 10-20G tanks. If you want a great heater much less then 8", try a RENASmart heater. The 150w version. I have one and it is the greatest. I'll never buy another heater for a tank more than 30G's. Not to mention it's only 6" in total length, and about 5" needs to be under water. You should look in to it. It's also pretty cheap. I paid 20 for mine on ebay, new.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks for the tip! off to ebay I go. I havent seen that heater on any site and i am being quite thorough lol
Old 04-09-2011, 03:43 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm I found it on amazon but it says its 10.5 inches...Could they have redesigned it? I think I may go with the hydor 100w, it says its 8.7 inches, I might be able to make that one work.
I want a sumbersible and auto shutoff if not submerged just in case.

After more searching it seems its been discontinued. boo
Old 04-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Yep, I went and got tank number 7. LOL

It is in perfect condition but is missing the lights, paid $100 bucks.

My plans for this one are quite simple. I want designer clowns of some type, a blenny and a mandarin goby. I have to wait til my 10g is open so I can use that for breeding pods. But I can always get the goby last anyways.

Not sure how this build will progress as I am gonna take this one slow I think. First step, order the lights! Second step, find a stand for it!

Thanks for reading!

carey, your other fish will out compete your mandarin for food,
Old 04-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

that could be a concern but I think I can target feed him. the shop that has him has a contraption madeup like a syringe type thing to get the food to him. plus i am very patient. My pink spotted watchman needs target feeding, he is sooo slow getting to the food. lol
Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm gonna put LR in the middle compartment, can I use base rock? Or does it have to be LR?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just used baserock. Your store might have a bucket of already broken up stuff. Mine didn't at the time so i just bought a piece and broke it up, conveniently they now have a bucket of rubble haha.

Target feeding will work fine for the mandarin, i just squirt some near the back of my tank. He usually is pretty good at getting his own food though, even will pick pieces out of open water in the middle of the tank. Plus none of the other fish will be hunting for bugs like the mandarin does.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, bio cube, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com