Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woohoo the rock finally got here! Also got my Ro/di unit today too. Below is what 50lbs of base rock looks like from reefcleaners. It's actually in really big pieces, I may have to break a few. And theres like no rubble to speak of so I need to break some anyway for the filter.

img_1300454_0_5fec0334e609513412d11a92211e5c21.jpg

So here's what I ended up with. 20lbs of pink aragonite live sand, 30 lbs of base rock in the display and 10lbs of live rock from my 55g in the main part. I only had maybe 4 lbs of leftover rubble tpo put in the middle compartment. I guess i will have to get more locally. Does that sound right?

LOL Tell me about it. I got a bunch though, but not enough. Do you think what I got so far is good?

Also, I put 3 ugly as butt pieces of LR from the 55g in, where should I place them in the cube? If I hide them all on the bottom underneath I don't know if I will get the full advantage of them.

Any help would be great!!
Thanks!!
:-D

I'd hide them, i don't think it would make a difference, the good bacteria will still spread just as well i'm pretty sure.

Looks like you could make some nice caves with those longer slim pieces, or try to stand them up vertical (if they are secure enough not to topple over that is, propping smaller rock at the base helps). I have a nice long piece propped up against my back wall and i like the way it looks, the deep sand helps hold it up too.

Looks pretty good! You should try stacking them so there are some caves, or maybe there is lol hard to tell from a pic. Did you use that long one in the top right of your rock pic? That would be a nice one to lay across two round ones or something. My brother usually does all the aquascaping haha hes pretty dang good at it.

I took the long one for my corals in the big tank. lol

This is only the first layout, I haven't even tried to change it yet til the cloudiness subsides a bit.

On a very bad but possible note, I might have a leak in the cube. I have water underneath the front between tank and stand. It had made a tiny puddle on floor. :-( I turned off the filter to see if it stops. I'm hoping it was just something with me messing around cause it would suck beyond belief if the cube is bad....

haha i thought you might have done that. It is probably just some spilled water from putting the rock in and such. Whenever i do water changes there seems to always be water in that exact spot. Hard to dry up too cause its in a small crack. Hope it's not a leak!

Nope, I have a leak but it only seems to be when the filter is running. It's coming from the back on the right side. I'm gonna drain the water and pull it out and see whats up.

This is def. not good. :-(

carey said:
Nope, I have a leak but it only seems to be when the filter is running. It's coming from the back on the right side. I'm gonna drain the water and pull it out and see whats up.

This is def. not good. :-(

aquarium silicone to patch it mabye?

I've got it filled again and pulled out from the wall. I;m running the filter to see if I can locate the leak.

Maybe its the filter splashing water...haha just a hope. At least it is near the top, which i guess doesn't matter if you have to replace the whole seal.

I used silicone that I had here to seal up the back where it was dripping. i will get aquarium silicone tomorrow and do the inside part. It's only when the water hits a certain level that it leaks. The guy I bought it from didnt have it filled all the way to the top. lol grrr..

I used silicone that I had here to seal up the back where it was dripping. i will get aquarium silicone tomorrow and do the inside part. It's only when the water hits a certain level that it leaks. The guy I bought it from didnt have it filled all the way to the top. lol grrr..

so theres a crack in the tank or is it the seal

It looks to be a seal. Where the top of the filter compartment on the right meets the top of the tank underneath. When I run the filter my water rises and it leaks.

It looks to be a seal. Where the top of the filter compartment on the right meets the top of the tank underneath. When I run the filter my water rises and it leaks.

oh well good luck with sealing it it up should be farely easy

So I left the pump running overnight and NO leaks this morning! I guess I still should do the inside with silicone too before I drain and move it back into place.
Since I was bored I re did the rocks, looking better?

img_1301789_0_9612056eaa1475cdb7cdfbacb33eff1e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom