Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #1001
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I will for sure look for them again when I go back, thanks for the info. My pico doesn't have the light for a nem does it? 26w

Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #1002
Aquarium Advice Addict

No I wouldn't try it.

Mini-Carpets: The Perfect Small Sea Anemones? | Coral Magazine

There is a write up about them though.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #1003
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yep. the branches of the kenya tree will fall off and blow around and attach everywhere and anywhere. they shold have paid you to take it!
let me give you some advice that will save you a lot of aggravation- only buy the nicest corals. stuff that you think is amazing looking. do not buy brown corals, unless you know for a fact they are going to color up into something else. it's been my experience, that the brown, unattractive, corals are the ones that grow in a plague-like manner. you'll end up selling off rocks or trading them to the LFS for clean ones. been there, done that!
according to popular stock lists, there is only 1 red, knobby star. that's what i go by.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #1004
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ahh so maybe i made a tiny error in my coral selection. lol I just hear about them and they look pretty neat so I figured I'd try it in the pico. I actually like the brown corals a bit, and youre right, they are the known plague in tanks usually now that I think about it.

I meant that there is also a red thorny starfish as well as a knobby. Apparently they have different scientific names as well.
Least that's what I've gathered since I got him and have been going mad about researching the situation. The lfs guy said he'd be glad to take him back if I had any problem with it so maybe I will consider that. he is just so pretty though!~
Old 06-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #1005
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
ahh so maybe i made a tiny error in my coral selection. lol I just hear about them and they look pretty neat so I figured I'd try it in the pico. I actually like the brown corals a bit, and youre right, they are the known plague in tanks usually now that I think about it.
~
You won't like the brown dull corals for long! I realized after a few years that it's not worth getting the ugly corals, they just take up room haha I liked my kenya at first too, until it started dropping like 10 arms every day (and I only had two small pieces!). It got removed from all my tanks after that, I didn't want to risk it. I saw a tank brought into my LFS once, a small biocube maybe the 8 gallon and there was literally no water room in the tank. The kenya had grown right to the surface, couldn't see any other fish or rock in the tank, just kenya.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #1006
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

omg, that's too funny!! I won't let that happen, no worries. LOL
Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #1007
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm having some concerns about my Tang. I've put out seaweed, algae and a macro and I haven't seen her eat yet. She does peck at the rocks constantly but I don't really have much algae. :-( I have some base rock in there that has a light green tinge to it, is that enough algae for her to eat for now?

Thanks...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #1008
Aquarium Advice Addict

May still be stressed and not comfortable with the surroundings. I wouldn't worry just yet, all the parameters are still good correct?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #1009
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, ammonia disappeared a few days and 0 on tites and trate. ph is at 8.3 salinity at 1.026 ( little higher than my usual 1.025) but other than that all is well.

She seems very happy now, at first she wouldnt even come out when i got close tot he tank, now she sits and looks at me. Then continues swimming on her merry way.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #1010
Aquarium Advice Addict

She hasn't eaten any frozen foods yet? Was she eating at the store?

You might also need to rub the algae into the water so it breaks into little chunks and floats around, most new tangs are too scared to nibble at it off of the clip.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com