Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished it up a minute ago. I had all sorts of loose connections and slow leaks. We are running it for awhile now to make sure it holds. We drilled the hole in the return nozzle so we should be good. I havent turned on the skimmer yet or filled the refugium just making sure it's all stable.

i did put the lights on earlier. :)

I think it looks good

img_1383904_0_b0a86a215c8526b2e9cdf69db6d66896.jpg

img_1383904_1_751ff425573becedf2762f417957f94a.jpg

Thanks lefty :)

SOooo, now that it's all up and running when can I add my livestock? I was hoping to start maybe tomorrow. Still have to move the pod tank into the refugium as well. But other than that I think I'm set. Water tests at 0 across the board.

I would add some ammonia just to make sure your cycled. Toss a shrimp in and see if you get an ammonia spike, or if the system can handle it.

I would hope it can handle it, theres over 100lbs of LR in there. LOL

I really dont' wanna drop a shrimp and wait and I can't dose unless I wanna kill the cuc that hitched a ride on the rock. last time i dosed ammonia I killed off all the coralline that I had and I have alot now so don't wanna kill it.

I'll test again, maybe I'll get a spike from the rock, although it wasn't out of water more than a minute

I would hope it can handle it, theres over 100lbs of LR in there. LOL

I really dont' wanna drop a shrimp and wait and I can't dose unless I wanna kill the cuc that hitched a ride on the rock. last time i dosed ammonia I killed off all the coralline that I had and I have alot now so don't wanna kill it.

I'll test again, maybe I'll get a spike from the rock, although it wasn't out of water more than a minute

I don't think you should get a spike from the rock if it was out of the water for a short period of time... I have taken mine out for 20 minutes at a times to chip away rock (to make my arch more profound) and everything was okay when I returned it

hey carey how are u making out with the pool filter sand do like it?

I think the PFS was a good buy. I like the texture and it doesn't blow around as easy as some other sands I've had.

The only thing that stinks is one of the bags had darker sand so now the far right corner of my tank is darker on the sandbed. LOL I've been trying to mix it in with the other sand, but it's really deep and I have small arms.

I don't think you should get a spike from the rock if it was out of the water for a short period of time... I have taken mine out for 20 minutes at a times to chip away rock (to make my arch more profound) and everything was okay when I returned it

It looks like I may have a spike after all. Just tested and it looks like ammonia is slighty green tinted in the vial. I have no trites or trates as far as the API test can tell. I may just test with the salifert to see if its just a tiny amt of trates.

I want some nitrates don't I? I'm not sure where the die off came from, maybe I took longer with some rocks than I thought. :-(

Ok so I'm messing with the sump today and figured I'd show a picture. I have the water level pretty high but only to cover the return pump intake and the skimmer intake. It looks like the refugium part stays full no matter what.

Do I have enough or too much water in there? I could probably lower the water level an inch or two. I also haven't added any sand or LR to the center section yet so I'm guessing that displacement will raise the water even more.

The only thing we haven't done yet is fake a power outage. If the power goes off does the overflow keep it's siphon? I mean after the water goes below the teeth on the overflow, will the water still in the tubes and overflow box be enough to keep the siphon going for when the power goes back on?

And if not, are there any easy ways to start a siphon real quick other than the airline tubing in the curve of the u pipe?

img_1384347_0_0ebf533d7ef7fc4225f15943e2e238c9.jpg

WOW!! Great tank with so many possibilities. Nice job with the layout too. I love the size. Perfect for the tang...

<'}}}-<

WOW!! Great tank with so many possibilities. Nice job with the layout too. I love the size. Perfect for the tang...

<'}}}-<

Thanks so much! Yep, this tank was done with the sole purpose of putting in Tangs. LOL And of course more livestock! Can't wait to start stocking, or at least moving over my current fish and corals. Poor things are gonna be lost in that tank.

I'm trying to setup my skimmer but it's giving me grief. Keeps overflowing....It's an eshopps psk 150. I've been messing with the flow adjustor to no avail...Overflows the cup in about 15 seconds or less

I'm trying to setup my skimmer but it's giving me grief. Keeps overflowing....It's an eshopps psk 150. I've been messing with the flow adjustor to no avail...Overflows the cup in about 15 seconds or less

Just let it run like that for awhile, it takes a couple weeks to break them in. Is the skimmer in the center part?? Cause the water does look high in there, only because the plastic separators look kind of high, if it is in there you could place an ice cream bucket or something underneath to raise the skimmer, make sure to do the same for the skimmer pump.

Back
Top Bottom