Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The skimmer is in the first compartment with the filter sock. The water in the center stays that high in comparison to the return pump section. The inlet section is also pretty high too. We haven't done a sample lights out yet, hopefully it won't overflow the sump. :)

The skimmer is in the first compartment with the filter sock. The water in the center stays that high in comparison to the return pump section. The inlet section is also pretty high too. We haven't done a sample lights out yet, hopefully it won't overflow the sump. :)

Oh okay so yah just try raising the skimmer by placing something underneath, keeping the pump at the same height. If the water level is too high they will overflow.

Hmm I already have the skimmer in there and can't get it back out LOL. I did get a little platform with the sump, guess i should have put that in when I had the chance.

What do I do now?

the water lever in the refugium part will always be high, the baffles keep the lever high so they over flow int the return section, thats where i should be lower

What do you think i should do about the skimmer issue leo?

The water in the return section is def alot lower than the refugium part. About 2 inches from the intake on the pump.

thats a good thin'g though, so when there is a power outage the siphon will break and the water will fall back down to fill that section so the whole sump doesn't over flow.

i've seen alot of sumps build an egg crate stand to raise the skimmer if its to low, the icecream container would work too though, and is a common household item, where as not many people have egg crates kicking around

here you go, the section with the skimmer is behind a support beam so I took it from both ends. It's too tall for me to remove without taking everything out. I have a clear stand that came with the sump bout 5 inches tall. With that stand though I think the intake on the skimmer will be too high.

img_1384539_0_bea35cff73958cda552a04d6432bf0ed.jpg

img_1384539_1_0b7eee703f79b2996199e9707f51562c.jpg

Hmm I think it might need that stand, if the pump is still under water even a little bit it should be fine. Any evaporation you get should only cause the pump compartment to lower, not the other compartments.

You could just let it run for a few weeks to break it in, I think it would probably still overflow though being that deep.

I wouldn't be too hasty moving livestock, even with the live rock you moved I doubt the system is ready for fish. It took 10 days for my 65 to cycle with nearly 100lbs. of rock. They are in a safe established system now, I would leave them in the 55 until you are absolutely sure the tank is ready for livestock. Better safe then sorry IMO.

Umm oops. :)

I just bought a fish for the 125g. The guy said one would be fine and to move my livestock over slowly. LOL All 5 fish.

I also got a new addition for the cube!

Woot!

My money is on a Tang--maybe an Atlantic Blue Tang :fish2:

Anticipation is building here Carey> Drumroll please.......... :band:

I wouldn't be too hasty moving livestock, even with the live rock you moved I doubt the system is ready for fish. It took 10 days for my 65 to cycle with nearly 100lbs. of rock. They are in a safe established system now, I would leave them in the 55 until you are absolutely sure the tank is ready for livestock. Better safe then sorry IMO.

i agree slow and steady wins the race

I just finished up acclimation, had two different tanks to go back and forth between.

I got a red striped sleeper goby for the 29g cube and yes, I did it, I got my first Tang!!!! A yellow eyed Kole tang. I know they are the tang of choice for smaller tanks but I really wanted one anyways. So I guess I will have 3 tangs in all when it's done.

here's the best shots I could get, the tang is in hiding. She keeps poking her head out lol. The goby is already eating and seems very happy. woot woot!

img_1384801_0_8e4b69c3fe59a69f4c3c38104d58c0af.jpg

img_1384801_1_856d0208d23e036b10505246c056a49c.jpg

This goby would fit in your tank I bet Wolf. It grows to about 2 inches the guy said. I still have to find some more information on him, no sites have one listed.

yes, the wait is over!! My first tang. She's so pretty, as soon as I saw her I knew it was fate. She's also pretty small too so she can grow up with my other fish.

The only thing is, well, I guess I gotta say it, I got both fish at petco. I've never gotten sw fish there before, I was just there to get a new valve for my water changer hose and was looking around. lol I initially was gonna pick out some FW fish but got toally derailed by the Tang.

You guys think the fish will be ok? Like I said, never got sw at a chain store before. I will say that the guy who works there is pretty good. He's in school for marine biology and he's like 40 something so he's not some punk kid. ( no offense to any punk kids reading) Their fish always look healthy and he moves quite a few. They do have the sad betta's in a cup though and they look sickly. I hope I made a good call here...

Back
Top Bottom