Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That yellow tang is to large and active for a 55, are you planning on upgrading?

In fact I am. I saw an ad on CL for a 125 that comes with a black modern stand and wood canopy for 250. So I'm trying to pick it up today and sell the 90 I was going to set up in july

OK so more questions time!

I have the refugium setup, has about 15lbs of sand and some chaeto and some other green looking macro that I got at the LFS a few weeks ago. I also have maybe 5 lbs of LR in it.

What do I need to add? I guess more rock right? What about the macro? How much and what kinds? I'm gonna be making an order at reefcleaners soon for CUC and I can order it then. :)

AND, my tang is pecking at the rocks but i don't have any algae for it to get. Is it finding some I can't see or just starving?

hey carey im turnin my fw into a planted shrimp tank i need some help could you answer any of my questions? check out the thread it's in fw & brackish planted called Josh's journey to planted

is your ramora still not working carey? have you tried cleanign the pump?

LOL Ironically, I took the unit out of the water, put it back in and it started right up! Not sure what the issue was but it's working now. Thank goodness! Now I don't have to stress moving the livestock, although I still only have 10lbs of lr in there....

keep in mind you still.got criitters in there now yes your trying to transfer to the 125 and seed but you may want to put a little back into the 55 just in case

there may have been a piece of soemthign stuck on the shaft of the pump, i still suggest takign it out and pulling the propeller out or even soaking the pump in vinager. pumps work better when they are clean

Yeah, i would take it all out but that means reattaching it when I'm done. LOL The connection to the skimmer box is a real pain in the butt. I anticipate needing it til next weekend at the most. Then when all the rock is out and critters I will be cleaning it all and getting it ready for sale. :)

i thought you were goign to use it on your 125 by changinf the pump to a mag3.

you can never have to much skimming

I figure the eshopps I got might be enough. It's rated to 150g. I probably won't have the 55g setup sold before I know if the eshopps pulls anything. if it doesn't do the job I may add the remora on, but I'm liking my plain bare background with no hangons LOL. The overflow box is even black so I can barely see it.

you can hang on the remora in the sump. its probably better there anyway since the overflow already pulls in the surface gunk so the skimmer can clean it all out.

but rememeber a skimmer is rated to an empty aquarium not to a loaded reef or an over stocked fish only. its best to go with a skimmer that is double your total system volume, so it might be nessesary to go with both skimmers or the eshopps might be constantly pulling skimmate out but not gettign all the gunk out of the water columb.

there is a great video LA fishguys has on youtube about skimmer. its episode 88 if you're interested in watching it

I think I found the source of my ammonia reading. I tested the pod tank and it has .25 ammonia as well. I moved the macro, sand and live rock from in there to the 125g.

Will the bacteria eat up the ammonia or do I need to do a water change?

the bacteria should eat up the ammonia, unless the rock you put in is not established but since you took soem out of your 55g and cube it should be fine. .25ppm is livable for your tang but if you're worried about it you can always place her in your 55g

i would be doing water changes to remove the ammonia. it's poison.
also, i would have the return area in the sump filled so it's the same level or almost the same level as the refugium. all evaporation is going to take place here. the way the picture looks, that pump will be sucking air in a day or less.

also, i noticed the spotted goby image. that fish is also called a red spotted sand perch and i've seen them eat small fish and inverts. just keep an eye on him.

Last edited:
mr_X said:
i would be doing water changes to remove the ammonia. it's poison.
also, i would have the return area in the sump filled so it's the same level or almost the same level as the refugium. all evaporation is going to take place here. the way the picture looks, that pump will be sucking air in a day or less.

also, i noticed the spotted goby image. that fish is also called a red spotted sand perch and i've seen them eat small fish and inverts. just keep an eye on him.

Thanks x. The return pump was pumping almost dry this morning lol. You def called it.

Regarding the sand perch what should I do with him? I read your posts from 2006 about them on another forum and it seemed this fish is the devil incarnate. Hehe...

Back
Top Bottom