Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, I will do my first PWC today if the ammonia isn't down. This should be interesting to attempt with one person. LOL

Still trying to find the sweet spot as far as water levels. I'm also looking into an ATO system, found a cheap and easy looking one. Should this work?

Float Valve Kit by Eshopps - AquaCave

I will just have to jerry rig a jug to it and figure out how to elevate it. I'm looking at making a small shelf.

I'm also thinking of buying this

BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor - English

Anyone know if you can effectively run carbon AND GFO in this single unit? I have had a phosphate issue for months in the 55g and just in case it happens in the 125g I will be ready. Plus I like carbon anyways. :)

What do you guys think?

Is there any reason why one of the overflow tubes just out of the blue lost siphon? I'm only running a single tube in the overflow now and adjusted the pump's putput until my b/f gets home. I can't get at the overflow box with the darn light on the tank and since it's 6 feet long I can't take it off by myself.

One of those moments when you think to yourself, "What was i thinking"

do you have a HOB overflow box? if so, it probably lost siphon because the pump wasn't strong enough.

....i laughed out loud when i read that you read my post from years ago about the same sand perch. any fish with a big mouth, and teeth in that big mouth, should not be labeled 100% reef safe IMO. those teeth are for something!
what to do? just watch him i guess. if small fish and inverts come up missing, you know who to point the finger at.

do you have a HOB overflow box? if so, it probably lost siphon because the pump wasn't strong enough.

....i laughed out loud when i read that you read my post from years ago about the same sand perch. any fish with a big mouth, and teeth in that big mouth, should not be labeled 100% reef safe IMO. those teeth are for something!
what to do? just watch him i guess. if small fish and inverts come up missing, you know who to point the finger at.

Glad I can keep you amused X. :LOL

I broke down the cube and caught the little bugger. he's gonna be heading back to petco in about 5 minutes. :)

I'm confused when you say the pump wasn't strong enough, how would this affect the overflow box? While I'm at it, how are the constant overflow boxes? Worth the extra cash?
CPR CS102 SIPHON AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave

I believe I need a pump for that type of overflow, anyone use this overflow?

the J tube style overflow boxes have to be paired up with the correct pump and pushed to the correct gph or you'll see small bubbles getting trapped in the J tube, and accumulating until the siphon breaks.
the CPR boxes utilize an aqua lifter pump. this keeps the siphon going by a small but constant suction. i do like these better, however, you have to replace the 12 dollar pump about yearly, because they wear out in about that time.

Thanks X! I may have to upgrade as my b/f is getting sick of sucking up salt water. lol

grrr..should have spent the extra money straight off. Live and learn I guess

lol it probably would have been cheaper to have it drileld out there would have been no worries and only would have needed a check valve on your return

Just retestes for ammonia and came up with 0. Yay!

Gonna let the tank run til later this week and then if no more ammonia spikes I will start to move over the fish.

why would they crash a cycled tank? its just more bacteria added to fight the waste from the extra bioload. its just liek the system doing it naturally but with no added ammonia spike from the added bioload.

ive heard some horror stories but then again Google's article results aren't allways 100% plus you all know what your doin. when i started my 15 it came with nutrafin cycle is it supposed to smell sulfurous?

are you sure it was sumfurous? usually when there is organics breaking down into ammonia you will get an awful stink from the water. it takes a bit of time for the bacteria to set in and do its job so you may get a stink from the die off but it will go away once its all said and done

you could indeed, there are also these to add. i've used BioSpira when i first setup mine but i still let it cycle for a week before i added any livestock

Stress Zyme

Stability

i've never used either of those but the stability looks ok. I'll see what the store has tomorrow and go from there. The ammonia is down so that's a good thing. I'll re-check it in the A.M. Theres only 1 fish and soo much water I don't think the fish can produce that much ammonia lol. The ammonia I had must have been from my pod tank I moved into the refugium. The live rock was barely out of the water 45 seconds while I ran it across the room to the 125g.

I just went with worst case scenario and assumed it was accurate. I tested two or three times and each time I got a green tinge over the course of the last few days.

I'm still gonna wait til maybe friday to move stuff. I'm having a party on saturday and would love to have all the fish in one place. And will give me a chance to clean up the 55g in case any one wants to buy it. I had a friend interested last time he was over. :)

Back
Top Bottom