Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #691
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I put PVC pipes so my goby and shrimp could dig under the rocks without a cave in. Otherwise, I think you want to put water and rock then sand once the base of rock is down.

I've heard/seen it in any order though. I did PVC, sand, then the water and rock together with a garbage bag over the sand.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #692
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh yes, youre right. The ro/di fills up jugs I have then I pour 3g from the 5g jug into a bucket and mix my salt in there.

Some people have their ro/di units hooked up to a large garbage can and mix it there. Then they use a pump and hosing to pump it to the tank. I got the 32g garbage can just no pump or hosing. :-(

I really need to get a system going for this bad boy, pwc's are gonna kill me for sure unless I do. And to top it off my python broke this weekend so I don't even have that for my maintenance right now.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #693
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfish View Post
I put PVC pipes so my goby and shrimp could dig under the rocks without a cave in. Otherwise, I think you want to put water and rock then sand once the base of rock is down.

I've heard/seen it in any order though. I did PVC, sand, then the water and rock together with a garbage bag over the sand.

Yeah , I like the garbage bag idea. I didn't do that in my little 10g and it took days for it to clear up. lol

I've also heard to put the rock in first and sand after, to avoid like you said, issues with shifting due to digging and the such.

I'm just sitting here looking at the tank and trying to figure out where to even begin.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #694
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Oh phewww! Lol. I can't remember the member on AA but he had like 26 buckets to use his ro/di. Really big ones too from Petco. But yeah, it would be much easier if you got some sort of system working so that you don't break your back!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #695
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I have 50lbs of base rock waiting also. Can I add that in now ya think? I am figuring on moving the 55g's contents this weekend over to the 125g. Or should I add some of the cycled live rock before I add the fish and gang and let it start to cycle? It's gonna be all new water so I'm not sure....

Thanks for the help btw Kelsey, you rock

I would add the 50 lbs right away and also add a few pounds of liverock to get the tank seeded (like you said), just wait until the temperature is up to normal before you add the live rock. I'm not sure if the temp will effect it too much though anyways haha but just in case.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #696
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Cool. I am slowly starting to get motivated and make my water. LOL

SO I will put in the base rock first and I have maybe 40lbs of LR being stored in my pod tank and the cube so I can seed with that then. Then over the next few days I can add some of the 55g's rock. I do need the sump all setup though don't I? Or can I wait a few days for that?

Here are some off topic pictures of the 55g, would you believe I am now finally happy with the layout and I'm gonna be breaking it down this week. :-( Figures......hehe

Theres at least 100lbs of rock in the 55g now, at least based on my best guess.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #697
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Your sump doesnt have to be setup but should be close.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #698
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
I think I finally figured out why SOO many people follow (and respond to) your threads! You always ask what you should do next...which is great! It's like an interactive game, or a tank that belongs to all of us I have a feeling you would make a great teacher...for like kindergarten or first grade! So great
Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #699
Aquarium Advice Addict

You probably have done this,but regarding how far from the wall.Whatever you decide make sure that you check stand and tank level side to side and front to back before you start adding stuff. Sometimes the floor can be off level some right at the wall.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #700
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyler View Post
I think I finally figured out why SOO many people follow (and respond to) your threads! You always ask what you should do next...which is great! It's like an interactive game, or a tank that belongs to all of us I have a feeling you would make a great teacher...for like kindergarten or first grade! So great

Aww Thanks for the compliment.

I always wanted to do early childcare ironically lol. I'm really basic in my thought process sometimes, I want to go step by step very clearly. And it doesn't hurt that I'm not afraid to ask stupid sounding questions. I get PM's sometimes from people thanking me for asking a question they thought was too dumb to post.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com