Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chip

I've finally been able to have a proper look at the pics of the tank on my pc, that chip doesnt look too bad. I would turn it around, out of sight out of mind. If it holds for the week I am sure it will be just fine. Looks like when you paint this one black it will be a good match to your Cichlid 125g. Your feeding my interest in starting a marine tank lol

:lol:

I've finally been able to have a proper look at the pics of the tank on my pc, that chip doesnt look too bad. I would turn it around, out of sight out of mind. If it holds for the week I am sure it will be just fine. Looks like when you paint this one black it will be a good match to your Cichlid 125g. Your feeding my interest in starting a marine tank lol

:lol:

That was what i was thinking, just hide it and keep my fingers crossed.

I've always been a freshwater girl, but after my first sw tank the fever got me. LOL FW and SW are so different but yet its much the same. Little more money, little more attention are the primary differences at least to me.

You should go out and get a tank and give it a go. The fish are astounding in sw. I thought my cichlids were colorful LOL

carey said:
That was what i was thinking, just hide it and keep my fingers crossed.

I've always been a freshwater girl, but after my first sw tank the fever got me. LOL FW and SW are so different but yet its much the same. Little more money, little more attention are the primary differences at least to me.

You should go out and get a tank and give it a go. The fish are astounding in sw. I thought my cichlids were colorful LOL

Whenever we go fish shopping the first place we look is all the amazing marine fish, just beautiful!!! I reckon Finding Nemo did wonders for the marine game. One day we will for sure!!!! But not until I am ready to put in the extra effort and of course money ;) right now we simply don't have the room :(

You can always start with a nano. My 29 cube takes up like no room and it looks like furniture with the stand and it all looking perfect together. Alot of people say go big or go home with a SW tank but I started out with a 29g and learned the ropes. It also makes it a lot less expensive. :)

We'll have to see your sw build one day. I promise I'd follow.

carey said:
You can always start with a nano. My 29 cube takes up like no room and it looks like furniture with the stand and it all looking perfect together. Alot of people say go big or go home with a SW tank but I started out with a 29g and learned the ropes. It also makes it a lot less expensive. :)

We'll have to see your sw build one day. I promise I'd follow.

Don't tempt me lol those 29 nano set ups are fantastic!!!! It's the misses i need to convince :-/

Way i figure it is if you make money you should be able to buy what you want within reason. You can also tell her you can put pretty little nemos in there, what woman doesnt love nemo? And just show her some of the cute nano fish, I think you'd win her over. LOL It's just an extra hour of work a week or so once it's setup. :)

I feel like a sw tank salesman. hehe i just want everyone to experience the joy I get from my tanks I guess.

Nano tanks are definitely cool, I need one to use as a QT, lol. Carey has a point, look into all the cool fish you can keep in it.

cools liek the skimmer goes in the last chamber with the return pump. i've seen some sump systems run like this although i'm sure you can get a skimmer with an external pump and move just the pump to the first chamber and take water from there and drain it in the return section

What if I continue to use the skimmer I have? With a mag3 pump it says its rated to 120g. I really love my remora and have had no issues with it. Part of the reason why I was thinking on going sumpless for awhile.

What if i get a cheap wet/dry? Will that have any benefit? I know I can probably afford a used one. I'm really wanting to start the tank up if you can't tell. LOL

If i can score the lights this week i can proceed much more quickly. i also was thinking about drilling the tank but with the glass gouge I dont wanna put any other stresses on it.

I am all over the board on this build, sorry. Just so impatient to start it.

So what do youthink of this sump?

Eshopps RS 200 Berlin Style Reef Sump, for tanks 125-225 gallons - AquaCave

I don't quite understand the setup though. where does the skimmer go and is there room for a refugium area? The last chamber is for the return pump right? Or does the skimmer go in there too?

Thanks guys, I know my questions can be tedious. lol

hm thats a pretty good deal i may think about using that instead of converting my 55G just seems like too much work with all the moving and the emptying etc so then i can just sell this 55G with the lights and stand maybe

well a wet dry uses bioballs so that right there will leech nitrates liek crazy, in a reef system the wet dry isn't really recommended.

would the remora b large enough to handle a mag3 though, the reaction chamber might be to small for the bubble contact time

They sell one with the different pump, I went with the mj1200 setup cause its rated to 75g and I only had a 29g at the time.

But it says in the specs that the same unit can handle the higher flow. Just need a different baffle box for it is all.

I keep up on my system like a maniac so I think I might be able to pull off the wet/dry setup without a nitrate issue. I'm currently running 0 trates in my 55g and all I have is the skimmer and a fluval canister filter. even with the canister I'm not seeing trates. :-D

fair enough, its up to you but i'd still go with a fuge over a wet dry even if you do decide to keep your remora

Well I do already have a 10g tank setup as a pod tank. Lots of lr and cheato, live sand and all. Is it feasible to plumb that in somehow? Or am I looking at 2 separate tanks and two overflows basically?

I'm getting confused. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This is the protein skimmer in question.

AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer With Drain Fitting & Mag-Drive 3 Pump - AquaCave

it says to 120 in there somewhere....

I don't anticipate buying many more corals to be honest. I'm really enjoying the fish aspect more. :-D

I may even decide to put the corals in the biocube if they fit and make it fish only but still reef friendly if I decide to go back. All the fish I have on my wish list are reef safe I think.

Heres where I am on tangs:

Definite- 1 yellow tang
maybe- Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
OR
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Spotted Bristletooth Tang, Ctenochaetus truncatus
OR
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Mimic Half Black Tang, Acanthurus chronixis

What do y'all think? I'm also kinda stuck on the schooling fish. I was thinking anthias but I've read that they eat pods and I have hopes of putting a mandarin in there eventually so I don't want anything to compete with it for food.

I just emailed the guy about the lights, I scraped together the $300!!! If he hasn't shipped them out yet I will be getting the Nova extreme pro. :-D With all 12 bulbs!! It's the perfect fixture for my tank. I may have this tank up and running in a couple weeks instead of a couple months.

This is all assuming the tank doesn't leak.

I just CLOSED the deal on that lighting system. I can get them tomorrow or whenever I feel like driving out there. WOOT! I'm just about ready to start actually doing stuff other than water testing.

i tried the windshield epoxy, it didn't go so well, it was very drippy and wouldn't fill the hole properly. Might try it when I empty it to paint it. Also decided I'm gonna flip the tank front to the back so that the crack away and towards my front door. Plus i can paint over part of it too. :)

I can't wait to get these lights! I almost spent $600 on them lol

Back
Top Bottom