Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. Micro: I appreciate the links! i was thinking of replacing the entire top plastic depending on price. The bar that is melted is still pretty straight and it seems to be holding pressure. i also have the other brace that is 24" down.

Do you guys think I can put a one brace top piece on instead of the two brace top? Not sure if it makes a difference. lol

Purevil: I will scope that fixture out like a hawk and see if I can't get some pictures for you too. I wouldn't ever recommend anything I wouldn't buy myself. And yep, its a 6ft one :-D

Also going out to price a used filter. I may have to go wet/dry for now until I can get something else together. I just want all these tanks up, running or gone.

If I get a filter what is the flow I need for a single overflow box? I was looking and it looks like I need 800gph after you take the head into consideration. So would I go with like a 1000gph pump? I was thinking on keeping my skimmer for the immediate future to make this build go faster. Just need a new pump for it is all.

So what say you guys?

Thanks for the help everyone!

I think I saw your 29 on CL, lol. Thanks, I don't see an issue with wet/dry. I never had a nitrate issue using one, I know everyone has different experiences, but I never saw more than 5 out of my old tank. What you could do, is put some rock rubble underneath the bioballs where it would stay submerged.

I was just going to ask what I would put in place of the bioballs. lol Would a filter sock work if I ditched the balls? Or is that not enough?

Yeah I listed the 29g for $350 hoping to get $300 out of it, or maybe sell it without the rock since I need that soon anyways. :-D

I kept the bio balls, never had an issue. I actually filled two pairs of dress socks with activated charcoal and put them on top of the bio balls, then I had rock rubble in the section below them. If I'm not mistaken, nitrate issues arise when there is a water flow issue with bioballs. As long as there is sufficient flow, you should have no issue. The rock is just further biological filtration, and the charcoal really polished my water nicely. A refuge would be the optimal choice, but I see no issue with the wet/dry set up.

I was just going to ask what I would put in place of the bioballs. lol Would a filter sock work if I ditched the balls? Or is that not enough?

Carey,

A filter sock is for mechanical filtration and Bio-Balls are for BIOlogical.. So technically you'll need both. I use Bio-balls... always have and never had an issue with nitrates...I like it better than using all rock or sponges...

Also, when going wet/dry.. you know flow rate is a matter of opinion... but yes, if you went 800gph on the overflow box.. A mag-drive 950 could work, at 5' head/lift it pumps 750gph, but at 6' that drops to 720gph. But with the bio-ball/rock/media sock restrictions... you should be spot on!

In regards to the cross brace... a one brace frame prolly wouldn't work right as the tank is 6' long the other half of the tank would have no support... You might be able to get the frame for free... both Oceanic and AllGlass have solid customer service... if not, i would venture to say it would be under a $100, prolly closer to $50 range....

Best Regards,
J

Heading out to pick up my lights! can't wait to see how they look!
If I find a decent wet/dry I think I may go the bio balls route for starters. Least til I understand everything better LOL

thanks guys!

Good luck with the lights! Let me know how that halide fixture looks, if you can snap some pictures I would be very grateful.

Got my lights! Woohoo! All looks great. :)

I looked at the mh system he had, its 72" and is a hanging unit. Has 3 250w and I think it was four t5's. Looks to be in decent shape, the glass covers could use some cleaning. lol If I had the $500 I would have considered buying them. i couldnt get a picture though, it was up against a wall. :-D

I still have to figure out the bulbs and switches, it looks like there are 2 blues and 4 whites on each side. I would prefer an even split. There might be a blue bulb in a white bulb spot so I gotta go check it all out. Just so excited!

img_1355725_0_cdd72c8bcbb3b713c968acf62c15691e.jpg

img_1355725_1_f740320f637816aed1993db31e4efe93.jpg

Thanks for looking at them for me, I might consider them. Has he posted them on CL yet? The nova looks good on your tank.

He didn't mention when he was listing but I do know he just got them in. :-D

I love my new lights! It's kinda weird though, there are 3 whites and 3 blues on each side but one of the blues is on the switch for the whites. So the switches control 4 bulbs and two bulbs. The websites I've been looking at this fixture on don't mention this. I tend to like a bluer tank anyways so it should be ok for me.

nice light setup you have there thats the light im thinking of getting for the 180 that or the one i linked to on my thread i have to some research on it though before i deside to plunk my money down

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping for a next to nothing cycle since I'll be moving my 55g over. :)

I am now looking at power heads. i was liking the koralia 1400's. Would 2 of those and my 2 750's be enough circulation?

I'm just gathering what i can so far. the lights were a BIG item but at least I got them out of the way. Just need sand, some more base rock I think, a filter and some powerheads.

Am I missing anything? lol

umm... she is getting a 12 by the looks of it from post #83

i know i meant 6 side by side in a 72" configuration and directed to purevil sayign that configuration isn't enough for him, and he should go with 8 lamp (16 lamp) atleast but 10 lamp (20) is better

Last edited:
it would probably be easier to fill when its on its side. if its runny it'll just pool in the chip/crack

that sump works also, its not the biggest but its not a bad size and i'm sure will house your skimmer a allow for a good ammount of chaeto.

are you goign to be using a DSB in the DT?

I wasn't planning on it. I was thinking about 150 lbs of sand. Gonna go with pool filter sand this time around. :-D

What's your opinion on the dsb? Do you run with one? Any benefits?

Back
Top Bottom