Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looks great! newb question I know haha. what is the platform for just so they can get bigger before attaching to a rock etc?

Oh you mean the frag racks? Yep, it gives them a chance to get a little bigger and multiply before I move them down into the tank. Just started using the frag racks a few weeks ago but they are working out just fine so far. :)

I haven't updated this tank thread in a few weeks so I figured why not? I even took a video for you guys. :) Be warned it's about 6 minutes long though, so much in the tank to shoot. LOL

I also asked some identification questions in the video so if you watch it and know what they are please let me know!

Other than a few issues here and there with some corals the tank is running well. I'm still on the fence about adding the final fish though. I was thinking either 2 or 3 more blue reef chromis OR 2 female squareback anthias'.

What do you guys think? Or should I get just one anthias? or if you all have any other suitable suggestions for fish chime in! Always looking for new ideas.

Thanks for reading and thanks for watching too!!

http://youtu.be/xM6mUkN2814

If I were to chose I would go with 2 Female Anthias. :)

Thanks guys, thats what I was thinking too. I'll see if I can't get the lfs to order me two. woot! That will finish up the stocking for this tank finally. A year almost later and I'm still stocking. Talk about taking your time. LOL

carey said:
Thanks guys, thats what I was thinking too. I'll see if I can't get the lfs to order me two. woot! That will finish up the stocking for this tank finally. A year almost later and I'm still stocking. Talk about taking your time. LOL

Haha it definitly happens! I still havent finished my freshwater tank, and its been around 5 months! And thats freshwater! Lol

Sounds great! Can't wait to see them when you get them! :-D

carey said:
I haven't updated this tank thread in a few weeks so I figured why not? I even took a video for you guys. :) Be warned it's about 6 minutes long though, so much in the tank to shoot. LOL

I also asked some identification questions in the video so if you watch it and know what they are please let me know!

Other than a few issues here and there with some corals the tank is running well. I'm still on the fence about adding the final fish though. I was thinking either 2 or 3 more blue reef chromis OR 2 female squareback anthias'.

What do you guys think? Or should I get just one anthias? or if you all have any other suitable suggestions for fish chime in! Always looking for new ideas.

Thanks for reading and thanks for watching too!!

http://youtu.be/xM6mUkN2814

I agree that the one corals look like acans!

I love your Yuma mushrooms on the first frag stand.

Chromis will kill each other off. They are like wolves that they kill the weakest ones of the pack. I started with 5 chromis and am down to two- but they are very happy and will often school with my clowns!

Thanks so much! I love my shrooms for some reason, not the flashiest corals but I like em. :)

Mr. x just also said acan as well, looks like great minds think alike. lol The one chromis I had jumped and the other just went missing one day. No body or cuc buffet that I saw. HAHA. I'm hoping they can keep their number at 3 they look so cool schooling around together.

Thanks for viewing! It's been a long battle to get the tank kinda to where i wanted it but I think I'm close. I love when people view it and say nice things or have suggestions, I appreciate all feedback good or bad. LOL

It will always be a work in progress I bet, I can think of half a dozen things I wanna tweak still, lol, the work is never quite done I guess. :-D

The tank looks fantastic!!! Very inspiring for someone just getting started. I cannot believe how big the candy cane was. How big was it when you got it?

To be honest, the candycane hasn't grown as much as I would have liked. LOL It was pretty big to begin with. It recently lost 3 heads, they just receded so I might have someone chop off the dead parts so it can sit better in the tank.

i do have another candycane in another tank and that one has tripled in size in just a few months. It just keeps splitting and dividing heads, really neat to watch as the old head will morph into a a 3 headed stalk. :)

With a bunch of research and trial and error you can have a great tank. It's just a slow process, and patience is probably the most important thing you need in SW.

looking forward to seeing your great build(s) LOL

carey said:
To be honest, the candycane hasn't grown as much as I would have liked. LOL It was pretty big to begin with. It recently lost 3 heads, they just receded so I might have someone chop off the dead parts so it can sit better in the tank.

i do have another candycane in another tank and that one has tripled in size in just a few months. It just keeps splitting and dividing heads, really neat to watch as the old head will morph into a a 3 headed stalk. :)

With a bunch of research and trial and error you can have a great tank. It's just a slow process, and patience is probably the most important thing you need in SW.

I recently had the same problem on my original kryptonite candys. So sad. Lost 3 heads.

Do you add anything? I read about it and noted some stuff about trace elements and strontinum. I don't want to kill it, but I don't want to overdo it either :rolleyes:

And yeah, this is definitely my first build, but not the last! I never anticipated that I'd do anything else (honestly, I just set this up so my daughter could get a nemo from Santa), but I'm soooo hooked! I can sit and stare at that tank for hours - and it's tiny in comparison to yours! Anyhow, we're moving to Washington, DC in a few months where we'll probably be renting an apartment first, so I can't go any bigger than this for now. But, when we've sold our current house and moved to, hopefully, or last home, then I'll definitely build something big! I can't wait :D Until then, it will just be my 28 G... and maybe a couple small nano reefs, just to have something to spend my money on... I'm sure my husband won't mind :angel: He didn't mind about this one when he found out about it... 2 months after I set it up ;)

TeamTrash said:
Do you add anything? I read about it and noted some stuff about trace elements and strontinum. I don't want to kill it, but I don't want to overdo it either :rolleyes:

And yeah, this is definitely my first build, but not the last! I never anticipated that I'd do anything else (honestly, I just set this up so mu daughter could get a nemo from Santa), but I'm soooo hooked! I can sit and stare at that tank for hours - and it's tiny in comparison to yours! Anyhow, we're moving to Washington, DC in a few months where we'll probably be renting an apartment first, so I can't go any bigger than this for now. But, when we've sold our current house and moved to, hopefully, or last home, then I'll definitely build something big! I can't wait :D Until then, it will just be my 28 G... and maybe a couple small nano reefs, just to have something to spend my money on... I'm sure my husband won't mind :angel: He didn't mind about this one when he found out about it... 2 months after I set it up ;)

Awesome I'm in Maryland. Bout 20 mins from DC

Back
Top Bottom