Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome I'm in Maryland. Bout 20 mins from DC

Not so awesome is the 9 hour drive and the fact that I told my husband that "it is no problem to move the fish." I need to figure out how to do that :whistle: But yes, I love DC. We lived there about 10 years ago and it was great! Where in MD do you live? We're currently looking for great areas to rent in... and, of course, I'll need the scoop on where the good lfs are at :cool:

Do you add anything? I read about it and noted some stuff about trace elements and strontinum. I don't want to kill it, but I don't want to overdo it either :rolleyes:

I don't add anything I don't test for, good rule to follow. :-D

I tried dosing with kalk for a bit but it wasnt cutting it. I've been doing frequent massive water changes in the meantime to keep my calcium and alkalinty up. I plan on starting a dosing regimen for two part soon but thats only because of all the coral I have so you wont have to worry about it for a bit. Just do your water changes, don't overfeed or overstock and your corals and fish will thrive.

TeamTrash said:
Not so awesome is the 9 hour drive and the fact that I told my husband that "it is no problem to move the fish." I need to figure out how to do that :whistle: But yes, I love DC. We lived there about 10 years ago and it was great! Where in MD do you live? We're currently looking for great areas to rent in... and, of course, I'll need the scoop on where the good lfs are at :cool:

I live in bowie md. A good LFS is House of Tropicals and a Petco in annapolis

I don't add anything I don't test for, good rule to follow. :-D

Okay. Well, I have the standard tests (ammonium, nitrate, nitrite, pH, and phosphor). I just received an iodine test kit as I've lost two crabs during molting. When I went to my lfs today I asked about a package of test kits for mag, alkalinity and calcium. They told me that I didn't need it. I can't figure out if they're just not taking me seriously (I'm a woman and blonde - a bad mix if you want people to take you seriously I've found), or if they were simply being honest. Your take?

Once you start getting more corals you might want to look into those kits. Calcium you might wanna have either way as well as a phosphate kit. :) magnesium, calcium and alkalinity are all tied into each other and very important with corals. It can be a balancing act if you have corals consuming the elements before you replenish them with water changes.

carey said:
Once you start getting more corals you might want to look into those kits. Calcium you might wanna have either way as well as a phosphate kit. :) magnesium, calcium and alkalinity are all tied into each other and very important with corals. It can be a balancing act if you have corals consuming the elements before you replenish them with water changes.

10-4. Going to the lfs today for a new turbosnail as my other one committed suicide behind the protein skimmer. I'll get the calcium test kit then. Also noticed that a couple of the candycane heads had their feeding tentacles out this morning. Hope that is a good sign :D. Need to figure out whether or no to spot feed it.

TeamTrash said:
10-4. Going to the lfs today for a new turbosnail as my other one committed suicide behind the protein skimmer. I'll get the calcium test kit then. Also noticed that a couple of the candycane heads had their feeding tentacles out this morning. Hope that is a good sign :D. Need to figure out whether or no to spot feed it.

I never spot feed mine. I usually just broadcast feed with phyto

But you also have a ginormous tank with some ridiculous corals :D. I'll have to spot feed my two teeny corals for now :)

I've been a busy little bee this morning. :) I just killed a credit card to order a boatload of stuff from petsolutions LOL

I ordered a mag 18 drive for the return when I upgrade this 125g this year, figured now while I have the money available I should start gathering my build stuff. Also got a silicate test, trying ti figure out if the pool silter sand is the reason for some diatoms that come and go in this tank. Got a new frag rack, some frag plugs, a bucket of red sea salt, gonna try that salt and see how it does. Also got a backup aqualifter for the overflow just in case, some ph calibration fluid for my ph probe on the 125g, a foam filter to put in my sump for an emergency qt tank if I need it. I also finally got the current light hanging mount for the new 60g I'm building next. :-D hard to see almost $400 go by but this is stuff I know I will need in the short and long term.

Which if course brings me to a question as ususal! hehe
Will a mag 18 be enough flow for a dual overflow drilled 180 or 220 tank? I plan on getting rid of my refugium in the sump and going berlin method so the increased flow would be good right? I hope to get a 180 tank for this tank's upgrade, might even go to 220g if the tank is nice and the price is right. lol

So what do you think guys, is a mag 18 gonna be good enough for the return pump?

carey said:
I've been a busy little bee this morning. :) I just killed a credit card to order a boatload of stuff from petsolutions LOL

I ordered a mag 18 drive for the return when I upgrade this 125g this year, figured now while I have the money available I should start gathering my build stuff. Also got a silicate test, trying ti figure out if the pool silter sand is the reason for some diatoms that come and go in this tank. Got a new frag rack, some frag plugs, a bucket of red sea salt, gonna try that salt and see how it does. Also got a backup aqualifter for the overflow just in case, some ph calibration fluid for my ph probe on the 125g, a foam filter to put in my sump for an emergency qt tank if I need it. I also finally got the current light hanging mount for the new 60g I'm building next. :-D hard to see almost $400 go by but this is stuff I know I will need in the short and long term.

Which if course brings me to a question as ususal! hehe
Will a mag 18 be enough flow for a dual overflow drilled 180 or 220 tank? I plan on getting rid of my refugium in the sump and going berlin method so the increased flow would be good right? I hope to get a 180 tank for this tank's upgrade, might even go to 220g if the tank is nice and the price is right. lol

So what do you think guys, is a mag 18 gonna be good enough for the return pump?

That's what's in mine!!!

Nice! And it works well? do you have it throttled back any with a ball valve? You have two drilled overflows too right? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I got what I should have. lol

Sounds like you got some awesome stuff carey! Do you think you will upgrade again after you get the 180 or 220?

Nope, I have one more upgrade in me for the 125g and then thats it.LOL

I did find a 300g tank though I have to call about today,. was thinking that could be the cichlid tank upgrade. :)

Also had my eye on a really local 250g drilled tank but it's 8 feet tall with canopy so I don't think I could work in the tank really well. lol But a 180g should be doable. What I really want is the front to back dimensions so I can have more sandbed corals. And well, just more room in general. i already have the wall picked out to use too. :) Just a matter of finding the right tank for a cheap price.

carey said:
Nice! And it works well? do you have it throttled back any with a ball valve? You have two drilled overflows too right? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I got what I should have. lol

I have it going as is. Not dialed back at all. I have two overflows so the plumbing is in a "Y"

carey said:

I did find a 300g tank though I have to call about today,. was thinking that could be the cichlid tank upgrade. :)

Also had my eye on a really local 250g drilled tank but it's 8 feet tall with canopy so I don't think I could work in the tank really well. lol But a 180g should be doable. What I really want is the front to back dimensions so I can have more sandbed corals. And well, just more room in general. i already have the wall picked out to use too. :) Just a matter of finding the right tank for a cheap price.

A 250 would work! Lol. I have a ladder next to my tank at all times because I raised the stand an additional 4 inches so total package is about 7 feet. Plus- I have become a pro with the grabber. This might sound cheesy, but I also cut a small hole in the top of the canopy for easy food dropping!

carey said:

Also, if your willing to make the drive- there's a 125 for sale in port Charlotte with full package for 200$

I happened upon a female anthias for my male squareback today for $15 and couldn't resist. :-D Two of them would probably have been too much fish so I'm gonna try a single female. After acclimation she was out and about with the blue lights on but now she's huddled under a rock overhang hanging out. She had been swimming with the male and the yellow tang didn't even pay any mind to her so it looks good so far. I just shut the lights all the way down to give her a chance to regroup. The fish had been in the store for at least a month so I felt ok about adding her directly.

Looks like I might be done with stocking. :-( Although there should be room for one more fish if I push it. just no idea what to add lol

Here's a shot of my newest addition

img_1761594_0_979a0bedebac34c6f22fc4546a67c5ef.jpg

Back
Top Bottom