Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys. She's swimming around the tank now with the lights off so it's looking good. She was stressed during acclimation and lost her color but now it's back. These fish are known to be difficult so I hope the gods are with me with her. Havent seen her eat yet either, but maybe for the nighttime feeding she'll try some food. Then i can relax LOL

carey said:
i happened upon a female anthias for my male squareback today for $15 and couldn't resist. :-d two of them would probably have been too much fish so i'm gonna try a single female. After acclimation she was out and about with the blue lights on but now she's huddled under a rock overhang hanging out. She had been swimming with the male and the yellow tang didn't even pay any mind to her so it looks good so far. I just shut the lights all the way down to give her a chance to regroup. The fish had been in the store for at least a month so i felt ok about adding her directly.

Looks like i might be done with stocking. :-( although there should be room for one more fish if i push it. Just no idea what to add lol

here's a shot of my newest addition

very nice!

Thanks guys. She's swimming around the tank now with the lights off so it's looking good. She was stressed during acclimation and lost her color but now it's back. These fish are known to be difficult so I hope the gods are with me with her. Havent seen her eat yet either, but maybe for the nighttime feeding she'll try some food. Then i can relax LOL

Glad things are going well this far. I am sure she will begin eating soon, no worries!

Okay. Well, I have the standard tests (ammonium, nitrate, nitrite, pH, and phosphor). I just received an iodine test kit as I've lost two crabs during molting. When I went to my lfs today I asked about a package of test kits for mag, alkalinity and calcium. They told me that I didn't need it. I can't figure out if they're just not taking me seriously (I'm a woman and blonde - a bad mix if you want people to take you seriously I've found), or if they were simply being honest. Your take?

Yep, I got that woman & blonde thing (add some silver though) going on too and I don't get taken seriously either. LOL

I happened upon a female anthias for my male squareback today for $15 and couldn't resist. :-D Two of them would probably have been too much fish so I'm gonna try a single female. After acclimation she was out and about with the blue lights on but now she's huddled under a rock overhang hanging out. She had been swimming with the male and the yellow tang didn't even pay any mind to her so it looks good so far. I just shut the lights all the way down to give her a chance to regroup. The fish had been in the store for at least a month so I felt ok about adding her directly.

Looks like I might be done with stocking. :-( Although there should be room for one more fish if I push it. just no idea what to add lol

Here's a shot of my newest addition

img_1764312_0_979a0bedebac34c6f22fc4546a67c5ef.jpg

SWEET, I was a little late to give you my take on what fish......... I was gonna say a "Dogface" lol.

I've been a busy little bee this morning. :) I just killed a credit card to order a boatload of stuff from petsolutions LOL

I ordered a mag 18 drive for the return when I upgrade this 125g this year, figured now while I have the money available I should start gathering my build stuff. Also got a silicate test, trying ti figure out if the pool silter sand is the reason for some diatoms that come and go in this tank. Got a new frag rack, some frag plugs, a bucket of red sea salt, gonna try that salt and see how it does. Also got a backup aqualifter for the overflow just in case, some ph calibration fluid for my ph probe on the 125g, a foam filter to put in my sump for an emergency qt tank if I need it. I also finally got the current light hanging mount for the new 60g I'm building next. :-D hard to see almost $400 go by but this is stuff I know I will need in the short and long term.

Which if course brings me to a question as ususal! hehe
Will a mag 18 be enough flow for a dual overflow drilled 180 or 220 tank? I plan on getting rid of my refugium in the sump and going berlin method so the increased flow would be good right? I hope to get a 180 tank for this tank's upgrade, might even go to 220g if the tank is nice and the price is right. lol

WHAT!!!!!!!!! Another couple of builds.....Even BIGGER???? Are you like using your roof top or something to place them. LMAO Am so looking forward to seeing those builds (like I can keep up now as it is LOL).:dance::dance: I'm still struggling with "Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build" LMAO, 1 step forward and 2 or 3 back. Lil' Red Engine says "I think I can, I think I can" or I'm gonna ask mod to change it to "Buffy's Last SW Build Ever" LOL.
So what do you think guys, is a mag 18 gonna be good enough for the return pump?

@ Buffy LOL Just keep plugging away, before you know it you really will be done. i promise. :-D

I have 3 builds left in me I think. the upcoming 60g rimless reef, an upgrade for my cichlids to at least 220g and the 125g will become a 180 most likely. I don't have room for any more tanks so I'm just maximizing the space i have these tanks in.
I only plan on swapping out the return pump and get a bigger skimmer so this tanks upgrade wont be bad and the cichlids will be simple. Going to look at my 60g cube today and pick up a red coris wrasse that the LFS has been qt'ing for me for the 90g.

Otherwise, this tank is looking really good to me now. The female anthias is out and about most of the day, she hangs out with the male when he's not jetting around the tank showing off for her. lol he has been ON this female since she went in the tank. he swims circles around her really fast, nothing aggressive at all, just weird to watch. he also changed some colors near his head and some lighter colored stripes were showing. I;m guessing he wants to mate or pair up with her.

Anyone know how fish other than clowns pair up? Do they do the same thing as clowns would do or is it hopefully nice and easy?

Thanks!!

I have never heard of Anthias twitching and fighting while they are paring up, so my guess is that they will pair up peacefully. :)

Glad everything is going well!

With my mind towards an upgrade on this tank this year i went ahead and got my first piece of bigger tank gear. :-D Nice Mag18 for my return pump.

Not sure if I'm gonna replace the sump or not, I think I'm just going to use the refugium compartment for a big skimmer when the time comes. So I figure i just need a bigger skimmer and i will be ready to go. The lights should be good for a 180 so I may get off cheap on this future big tank. LOL

I've made up mind, I will do 3 more builds and then thats it. :-D I went into the 125g thinking it was SOO big but in reality it's really not. lol So the 60g, the cichlid build and the reef upgrade.

I had planned on selling the 20g rimless and the biocube but now I'm having second thoughts. LOL I kinda would love an invert tank but not sure if the 29g would be overkill. I for sure am gonna sell the 20g rimless though, too small and the glass is so thin it always worries me. :) Unless I run across a 14g cube on criagslist and make that an invert tank....what do you guys think?

carey said:
I've made up mind, I will do 3 more builds and then thats it. :-D I went into the 125g thinking it was SOO big but in reality it's really not. lol So the 60g, the cichlid build and the reef upgrade.

I had planned on selling the 20g rimless and the biocube but now I'm having second thoughts. LOL I kinda would love an invert tank but not sure if the 29g would be overkill. I for sure am gonna sell the 20g rimless though, too small and the glass is so thin it always worries me. :) Unless I run across a 14g cube on criagslist and make that an invert tank....what do you guys think?

Why not use the 20 to reproduce your own phyto??? What's wrong with free food???

An invert tank would definitely be cool. Especially since you have a shrimp-killer in your 125g. :)

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is an invert tank? I thought it was no fish, just coral. But I looked it up and I saw various things. For now, I'm not planning on any fish. So might my tiny 20 gal b considered an invert tank? thank you

image-3076131131.jpg

An "Invert tank" is simply a tank, usually a reef, with only inverts like shrimp, snails, crabs, conch, etc. you're right no fish.

Picked up a brown barred goby for the tank today. :) Will take some pictures hopefully after acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom