clear water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noodus

Aquarium Advice Regular
my water conditions are good. ammonia - 0 nitrites - 0 sl - 1.024 nitrates - 20

however i can't seem to get the water crystal clear. i have lots of really small white snowlike things floating around. everything in the tank seems to be doing fine. should i try to do something about it or is it okay?

Your best bet is to run carbon in your filter. If everything else is in check than that should help clear up the water.

tripper

how long has that carbon been running?

and is the filter that the carbon in your main filtration?

the carbon has been in there a few weeks (3). i have a 72 gal tank with a 18 gal refuge. it also has a canister fliter, the carbon is in the canister filter.

Are you sure the "cloudiness" isn't being caused by microbubbles coming from your sump? Microbubbles in the water column can give a tank a cloudy appearance. HTH

IMO, my tank looks clearer with RO/DI water. I'm not sure if this is just my imagination, but it may help.

Also, try switching your filter media to Poly Pads.

the carbon has been in there a few weeks (
GAC should be replaced weekly. After approx. seven days it becomes inactive and just traps detritus, etc. causing problems like high NO3, cloudy water, etc. HTH

I would try the poly filter or filter floss. Are you sucking any sand from the fuge? IMO has nothing to do with the carbon. How old is the tank? some new tank can have fine sand floating around until they get a good bacteria build up. Also check pads daily because they can plug up quickly..

seaham358 said:
IMO has nothing to do with the carbon
"White snowflake things" probably not, I agree. I was just giving some general info. Replacing GAC in shorter intervals will benefit the tank regardless. I guess I should've been clearer.

Back
Top Bottom