Clownfish eggs found!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tundar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just found Clownfish (Percula) eggs in my 60 G tank. They were layed on top of one of my water pumps. One Clown is guarding the eggs (I assume is the male) while the female is never too far. I'm relatively new to this situation. I've had my tank running for about 5 yrs now and I believe this is the first time this has happened. I also have a Hippo Tang, Coral Beauty Angel, 2 convict Blennys and a whole lot of Blue Leg Crabs.

My question is should I just leave everything as is or should I take some precautions for those fry when they hatch. I know that if I leave everything as is, most of those little guys will perish but isn't that the way of the jungle ... or ocean... you all know what I mean.

What do you guys with experience think.

Thanks

Rearing the fry is possible, but it's pretty involving. You would need to remove the eggs from the main and setup a separate tank specifically for the purpose of raising the fry. Care has to be taken when choosing equipment, pumps can easily kill them. And AFAIK you would also need to cultivate your own rotifers for food, unless you could buy them. There is not enough, if any, plankton in an aquarium for them to survive to adulthood. There is info available online if your still interested. Most people just leave them in the tank to become food for other fish and/or coral.

My clowns have been laying eggs regularly for about a year now, I just let them go. Like Mike said, you can raise them, but its a lot of work and time consuming, and they need lots and lots of food that you usually have to grow yourself.

Congrats anyways! The clowns will likely lay again in about 2-3 weeks, so if you decide to try and rear them you should have plenty more opportunities.

Thank you for your advice. I think I will just leave them be and let nature run it's course. Besides if I attempt to raise them, I'll probably have negative results.

Thanks for all those who visited this post.

I personally let mine go as well. However, thats not to say I would LOVE to raise a few of my true percula fry to selling size and get them into the hands of some reefers in my area. I guess it would make me feel like I'm doing my part in a way. Good luck!

Congratulations and good luck if you do try to rear some in the future.

my male clown is maxing some funny moves near the female like a shaking move. bit funny looking. what could this mean? its also hanging around one peice of rock a lot too. picking at it?

boges_au2006 said:
my male clown is maxing some funny moves near the female like a shaking move. bit funny looking. what could this mean? its also hanging around one peice of rock a lot too. picking at it?

Put on the Barry White album & cut the lights on your way out.

Would something like this work for the feeding? Or do you actually NEED to grow rotifers. And would you target feed them or just dose the tank?

No, that would not work. Along w/ being the right size, it has to be live to stimulate a feeding response. I've heard of using rotifers, or copepods if you can raise enough of them. Rotifers are easiest to culture, and are very nutritious, in part b/c of the phytoplankton they feed on. The number of fry that would survive to adulthood using dead foods, would be very low, if any.

Ah ok, it says the plankton is live, but I will take your word for it if I ever take the plunge and use rotifers. Do you have any good sources to read about going about this?

It's actually not alive. Some phytoplanktons are able to be bottled and sold alive but not zooplankton-AFAIK. I know cyclopeeze is not able to be kept alive in a bottle, and that seems to be a primary ingredient of that product. Also that product said it can be stored in a freezer which rules out the possibility it is alive. FWIW sometimes frozen/dried cyclopeeze can be used as a second food source for clown fry, but you'll need something smaller, ie rotifers or copepods, and alive as a first food source.
Joyce Wilkersons "Clownfishes- A guide to their captive care, breeding and Natural History" -that should contain everything you need if you're serious about trying this.

Back
Top Bottom